Red Sea Max

Which ones are cheaper?

I forgot to say that the guy selling us the 1 year old red sea max 130 is also including live sand, live rock, and some soft corals

Rubbermaid tubs for the rocks with some water and wet newspapers.
More tubs for the corals and enough water to cover them.
More tubs or buckets for the sand. Not sure I'd trust leaving the sand in the tank, depending how much of it. You don't want to break the tank from the weight while moving it.
When you get home, add a powerhead to the tub(s) with coral in them. I would get everything else set up and leave it cycling for a few days at least before putting the corals in.

Since it's a used setup that comes with stuff, it's hard to say if it's worth it without knowing exactly what it comes with. If it comes with nice stuff, then I'd say that's a good price for this system.

But you can get a brand new one for cheaper.

thanks for the link.

What other equipment do we still need to buy that is not included in the Red sea max system? Like i just realized we're gonna need a small powerhead to mix the water..we'll also need the salt mix... what else?

That is a great price for a Max. I have one and love it. If the system is complete, which I would assume it is, then you really don't need anything else. It is a plug and play system. GET IT!

i live in vacouver, bc and i've heard we have some of the cleanest water in the world. how do you tell if a filter is for dirty or clean water?

no matter how clean your water is, there are always additives and other contaminants that will need to be taken out. For the health of inverts and corals and also to avoid causing algae outbreaks

Stuff that is okay for people in the water is not necessarily okay for fish. Even clean water can have harmful things.

Namely, phosphtes and nitrates, which corals and inverts can't tolerate, and can lead to algae problems. Tap water usually has these at low levels, but in some areas it's bad.

Tap water also commonly contains metals. Or if you have copper plumbing, it will contain some amount of copper. Copper is fatal to inverts and corals, even at very low levels.

RODI water will have TDS (total dissolved solids) of close to 0. Tap water commonly has TDS in the hundreds (where I live, 400 to 500 is normal). That's all crap that you don't want in your tank.

Now, some places have good tap water, but I'd still recommend using an RODI unit to take out all the stuff you don't want in your tank.

Back