Red Sea Max

someone in my city has been using this type of filter for years and he claims it works fine: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter

lol i like the fact that it's $53

That looks appealing now, but I used to have one. The most common complaint against them is that you have to change the filter cartridge all the time. I had to change mine at least once a month.

Look at the price of the replacement cartridge.

Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Tap Water Filter Replacement Cartridge

With an RODI unit, you only need to change the filters once a year, and the replacement filters cost $40 to $60.

A single-stage filter like that may be fine for freshwater, but it won't cut it for saltwater.

Yes, it should, but you will still have to replace them a lot more frequently than once a year. You will spend more on that filter and replacement cartridges in one year than you would have if you just bought an RODI unit. Plus, that filter runs VERY SLOWLY. It takes forever to make water. Like I said, you may think your water is clean, but it could very well contain things that are bad for corals.

The best thing you can do is look up your city's water report. It will say what the average levels of nitrates, phosphates and metals are. That way you can make a better decision if you should get one or not.

I still think that an RO unit is one of the most important pieces of equipment you can have in this hobby. It is very hard to keep a reef tank successfully if you are not using RODI water.

Last edited:
Our water here in Vancouver is fantastic (I always laugh when people get purified water for drinking) But even so i don't think i'd be comfortable using tap water without a multistafe rodi filter on a tank containing delicate inverts. Maybe a fowlr but not with coral

Rubbermaid tubs for the rocks with some water and wet newspapers.
More tubs for the corals and enough water to cover them.
More tubs or buckets for the sand. Not sure I'd trust leaving the sand in the tank, depending how much of it. You don't want to break the tank from the weight while moving it.
When you get home, add a powerhead to the tub(s) with coral in them. I would get everything else set up and leave it cycling for a few days at least before putting the corals in.

What about the tank's water? If the water in the 33 gallon tank has already been cycled, do we wanna try and transport all that water to? That way we don't have to wait for it to cycle again while we have live coral..?

Transporting tanks usually kick up a small cycle because of stiring of the sand. Most of the bacteria in the aquarium is on the sand and rocks not in the water. Also, you will be saving some of the water with the fish and the corals bucket and a bit more in the one with the rocks.

I would have some water made up for when I get back home with the tank.

+1 Bj
Your gonna want some water mixed up and ready after you get the tank moved any way.Just in case the move does kick off a cycle.

For my RSM I use 5 gallon water bottles. I have one with plain RODI water and two with ready made saltwater, for a water change. It has worked out well for me that way. When I empty one I refill it and mix the salt right in the bottle, approx. 3 cups salt per 5 gallons. You can shake or roll the bottle to mix.

For my RSM I use 5 gallon water bottles. I have one with plain RODI water and two with ready made saltwater, for a water change. It has worked out well for me that way. When I empty one I refill it and mix the salt right in the bottle, approx. 3 cups salt per 5 gallons. You can shake or roll the bottle to mix.

no way, so we don't need to buy a powerhead then? do you put the heater in the bottle to?

Some would say you do, but I don't use a powerhead or heater and I have had no problems in 3 years. When I do a water change I do a fast drip with the new water so as not to shock the system. It doesn't have to be as complicated as people make it sometimes!

Put the 5 gallons on top of the RSM and then take airline tubing and siphon the water to start and using a air value controller set the water output to a very fast drip.

Back