Red Sea Reef Base

dcantucson

Reef pro
Anyone out there using this substrate? Can you give me the pros/cons. Thanks!
I have a DSB now but get frustrated with the inability to vacuum it. The sand just gets sucked up. It's a nightmare! So I've been trying to find the perfect substrate that provides the beneficial qualities but can be cleaned. So much "dust" gets trapped that when it gets stirred up it coats everything in the tank. Suggestions?

You are not supposed to vacuum or clean a DSB. You should have a cleaner crew consisting of nassarius snails and conchs to keep the sand stirred. In a saltwater tank, disturbing the substrate is a bad thing, and you should avoid doing so. Your cleaner crew should keep it clean for you.

PS -- Hi fellow Tucsonan!!

Thanks for the reply, Bifferwine and Hello from Tucson too!
Okay, I understand that one shouldn't mess with the sand bed all the time, but once in a while shouldn't one clean some of the reef "dust" out? I have tons of nas. snails, sand sifting starfish, horseshoe crabs, hermits, sallys, etc... and I don't see any food build up down there but if I stir it up some (when cleaning the sides) I get a huge "dust" storm. I have 2 large 14000 Quiet One pumps (3500+ gph) so I have a lot of water flow. Some of it goes over the sides and gets filtered out by the pre-sump sponges, but most of it just settles back down. I guess what concerns me is the shear amount of it that exists. If stirred up just a little it really looks like a dust storm in the tank. Then it settles all over the live rocks and coral too. Then I spend some time with a turkey baster "spraying" everything off. The stuff's not all light enough to go to the top and overboard so it settles back to the bottom. Then gets mixed down in the sand again. And then it begins again... With that said, I know that a lot of that stuff is beneficial, but again isn't too much a bad thing? I also just recently for the first time in over a year had some Black algae growth on top of the sand. I have also read about some poisonous gases can build up down in there and then taint the water. Some times when I stir up things deeply a lot of bubbles do come up. I just concerned with the amount of stuff and whether or not too much of a good thing is really bad!
Thanks again for all your input.

Hi I am in Tucson as well. I would suggest that you avoid "stirring up" up your substrate. You will cause your tank to crash by bringing the detritus to the surface and mixing it into the water column. As Biff suggested let your nassarius snails do the sand sifting. There's nothing wrong with using the baster to clean off your rock and corals, but you are playing with fire if you are intentionally stirring up waste into the water column. I would suggest that you do more research on your CUC and make sure that yours is a good fit for your tank and then let them do their job. If you are having trouble keeping your water quality stable then it might be time to analyze your bioload, LR, and skimmer. Good Luck to you and Welcome to Living Reefs!

Last edited:
Hi, What I do is this....when I'm ready for a water change, I stir the top carefully, and using a wide 1in hose, hold it an inch of the top, sucking just whats in the area into the bucket. I have no problems sucking up substrate, and always leave behind a nice clean white top. I think the important thing in this is the hose size, try it. Regards.

Thanks for the reply Mike. Yeah Wes this is an old thread. Actually
the first one I started here on LR. I have since exchanged out the black DSB in both my tanks with the Red Sea Base. I am happy with it so far but it's only been a couple of months. I'm hoping it will be a solution to my issue. Instasd of leaving well enough alone I decided to change them after all. I'll post any conclusions after another few months.

Last edited:
Back