Red Sea reef foundation B? Is 7.8 DKH low ?

Pilotkev55

Reefing newb
I don't understand the chart on the back of the bottle. I have a reading of about 7.8 dkh for my alkalinty. I think it should be higher than that to get good growth for the corals. I have a 28 gallon nano cube. Has anyone used reef foundation b supplement that could give some advice. All the other parameters seem good.

While its on the lower side, it's still higher then the lowest recommendation of 7. I personally wouldn't mess with it if its stable there.

Ok, I have not checked it in at least a week. I am going to take a sample to the LFS tomorrow and see what reading they get . I did a 5 gallon water change last week. I usually don't do that much at one time but I wanted to move the rocks around a little and clean the sand a little better. Plus I had some small rocks I put in with the live sand , I thought it looked nice with a variety of size in the substrate. I decided I didn't like it like that and sifted the sand to remove the the larger sized rocks out of the substrate and leave just the sand. I also vacuumed the sump in the back of the tank. I don't knowif that had anything to do with the drop. It was at about 9 a few weeks ago when it was checked. It says on the back of the alkalinity buffer bottle that for coral growth you need it at 12.6 dkh.

Well the 12.6 was the high end of the range for good growth.
I go by this article for params, Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Based on that, 12.6 would be very high. Also, having it at the highest level doesn't necessarily mean you'll get better growth. As for the dosing, you'd need to test on a regular basis to track it's depletion to get an accurate dose level and schedule.

Hey Brian, I see you are in Tennessee, I'm outside of Memphis where are you?

I've heard Memphis is pretty rough, I'm in clarksville.

Back