Red Slime Algae - Cyano

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

I thought my problem gone for a while but it seems to be back in my display and my refugium tanks. I am using LED (10,000K) in display and CFL (6,500K) in my refugium. Nitrite, Nitrate and Ammonia are 0, PH is 8.0. Feeding Mysis shrimp once in 2 days. I am using only RO water, and i am doing WC once a week.

I don't want to sound helpless, but i can't really find the root of this issue and i can only see the ChmiClean as a solution.

Maybe my feeding is not right, i don't know. What is the steps i should take when feeding in details? How many hours to leave the lights on?

Now i am rinsing the food with water from the tank in a cup and then putting only the food in the tank. The lights are on for 10 hours (LED - display) and 12 hours (CFL - refugium).

I have one inside the display tank, small one of 500GPH (Aquaon circulation pump 500) and the water pump in the sump is Rio+ 600. The water pump flow rate is unknown (i can't really measure it).

I don't want to sound helpless, but i can't really find the root of this issue and i can only see the ChemiClean as a solution.

Chemi-Clean is not a solution. If you have conditions for cyano after using Chemi-clean, the cyano will just come back

I am guessing phosphates are getting into your system somehow. Do small water changes each day to suck out all the cyano that you can, in addition to your normal water changes.

Also, as Sarah asked, what do you have for flow in your tank?

I already answered Sara's question.
I have one inside the display tank, small one of 500GPH (Aquaon circulation pump 500) and the water pump in the sump is Rio+ 600. The water pump flow rate is unknown (i can't really measure it).

I did the every day WC to take it out once, after 2 weeks it got back.

Here is my tank. You can see the left side with the power head and the pipe that coming from the sump. The power head pushing the water to the front glass and the pipe towards the right side.

IMG_0024.JPG

And this is the Cyano problem back...

IMG_0025.JPG

Last edited:
Can i use the Phosphate media without the reactor tube? I mean i can just put it in a bag inside my sump where the water gets in.

Yes, you can put it in a media bag, or and old pair of nylons (cut to small bag size). You will want to place it in direct flow so that water is forced to move through it.

You may also want to think about adding another powerhead on the opposite side of the tank and blowing toward the side with the existing powerhead.

I'd also change your food. There are a variety of frozen foods available that are much better for your tank and livestock than frozen brine. Look for something like Rod's Food, or Emerald Entree in the frozen food section at your LFS.

Last edited:
I will do it with the bag then, thanks.

As for the food, i have the Mysis shrimp, that's what the guys here told me to buy. If it's not the best choice i don't mind to replace it with better one.

Ok, i think i will go with the Rod's Food Original Blend. Seems it has all in it...

How much should i doze with the Phosphate media for the 10 gallon tank?
And, how to test the water for Phosphates after using it? I hear that it's not accurate at all...

Last edited:
Back