Red slime algea

nevereverhome

Reefing newb
Hi all, whats the best method to get rid of red slime algea, finally ridded the tank of that black stuff I had now this, any help would be great. thanks.. kevin

poor water quality, excess ditritus, hight nitrates, high phosphates all play a part in cynobacteria a.k.a red slime algea.

I suggest checking your phosphates and nitrates and do a couple regular water changes. Products like Chemi-Clean exist, but are more of just a bandaid to a real underlying issue.

I would go with bkv1997's suggestions.Chemi clean will knock it out,but follow the directions.When have used it my tank life had no ill effects.I have had good luck with cerith and astrea snails eating the stuff.This vendor has done well by me
Aquarium snails

Thankyou for the question. In order to properly get rid of cyno or red slime algae you will need to understand what it is. I would like to refer you to a very good article in the helpful articles forum on page one titled cynobacteria - red slime algae. please read the entire article which is in 3 parts. it will not only explain what it is, it will tell you why it shows up and how to control it naturally. I do not recommend additions or quick cures as if it kills the cyno it will also affect other things not so obvious as well. good luck and keep us posted.

Back