Red slime green on rocks

felixfish

newbie reefer
So my tank is about 6mo old. I have added an algae turf scrubber 5 wks ago. I have cleaned the glass out of my dt and sump. I am getting good dark growth on my turf screen and still getting red and green growth. I have a korilia 850 & 750. I tried to point the 750 evo at the rocks but still not going away. Plus every time I've attempted to add snails they die. I've tried a few corals but they don't survive. I've done nitrate and phos test and they are .1. I saw only one snail alive but barely moving. I was using my RO 2 canister plus membrane spectra pure with old filters when I set up the tank. I have now added new filters but no DI cartridge. Just added chemipure red slime remover and am at the 48 hr mark this afternoon. And red slime still on the rocks. Any takers?
My tank is a 55g with 29 g sump with hob reef octopus skimmer, and ATS

Is it cyano algae? If so, treat it with a single pouch of "Freshwater Maracyn" Cyano is really more of a bacteria than an algae. Maracyn is an antibiotic for fish that just happens to be cyanos' worse nightmare. Use one pouch of the fresh water version & your cyano should begin to subside after 3 or 4 days. You can also use a turkey baster to suck up the lager clumps as it begins to loosen.

Yes it's cyano. Thanks I'll try and look out for that. I have been siphoning it off the rocks with a small hose every water change, along with detritus around rocks and such. I just added some carbon in a mesh bag.

Back