Red Slime or Coralline?

WarmSoda

Reefing newb
This has been growing on my LR for the last few weeks, assuming it was Coralline. Lately, though, I have been second guessing myself thinking that it could be Red Slime, even though it is directly in path of my K2's flow. It's very hard to tell by the color, also...

corraline4001.jpg

corraline4002.jpg

Any thoughts?

It doesn't feel slimy (I think ??), and it doesn't come off the LR or my powerheads with my tooth-brush but it'll come off the glass pretty easy.

I think it's not red slime, because you said it's been growing for a few weeks. Red slime usually takes of with a vengeance in a week or under! That means it the good stuff! Yea!

i had some kind of alage that looked like that when i first set my 75 up it looked and felt like velvet. but it is now all gone as the tank matured more i dont think that is coraline

Now that I think about it does seem to be evenly covering your rock. Not typical of Coralline. You said it's been growing for weeks. How many weeks approx.?

Could be some type of turf algae.
I've got a coule of small patches about that same color,that both tangs and the foxface love to eat.

Well, my first fish is gonna be a foxface, so I'll hope for the best!

As for my terrible coralline growth, once I get my CuC I'm going, I'll add a piece of LR from the LFS to get a little boost, and perhaps some extra LS.

Thanks for your help guys!

Well, I might not be getting the Fox so soon, as my CuC might be a little delayed.

Should I...
Try my best to get rid of it?
Turn off my lights?
Or leave it for my CuC or Fox?

I hate to say it, but that doesn't look at all like the typical growth pattern for coraline. What type of lighting are you running?

I hate to say it, but that doesn't look at all like the typical growth pattern for coraline. What type of lighting are you running?

T5 6 bulb fixture, half Actinic half 10K.

I've taken it upon myself to destroy this stuff. I'm getting myself some Chaeto to go in my not-yet-created mini fuge/ Cheto-trap to starve the Cyano. But, I'm worried that when my Clean-up Crew comes in, they won't have anything to eat! My nitrates are very high (20+ppm), and I'm postivie it's contributinhg to the algae, and hurting my coralline growth.

Back