Red Slime Treatment

Slimkasey

Reefing newb
Okay, I got some new Reef ready LED Lights, and my LFS, forgot to tell me they need to be so high off the water.

Anyhow, this lead me to a major Red Slime outbreak. I've just finished treatment 1 Of Chemiclean, and now I need to repeat, do I do the 20 percent water change first r just reat again?

IMO, you need to figure out why you have red slime. The chemicals are just a bandaid to make the tank look good again. Usually it is from high nutrients and lack of flow.. The added light caused it to gain a foot hold because that was a limiting factor before.

What are your parameters?

What do you you have for flow?

Are you using RO/DI water to make up your salt?

If so, what is the TDS reading of the water?

If not, I suggest getting a unit.

As for doing a water change, I would. After the first treatment, all the red slime that got killed will start to decay. If you don't remove the dead stuff, then all the nutrients will be released back in the water to feed more algae.

As to the flow, I'm not sure exact numbers, but with a HOB Filter and Skimmer and Powerhead, there is a pretty good movement.

I have cut down on my feeding during this incident, and phos is coming down.

I'm keep my Nitrate as low as I can with water changes, they have been high, but getting better.

The red slime came very shortly after the New lights. I've never had a problem before with a regular light.

The lights are now up 8 inches, and Im hoping.

Back