Red tipped Hermits, Very strange!

richcoopey

Reefing newb
I got home from work today and noticed something strange at the front of the tank. It appears to be a shellless hermit (I only have 2 of them). red legs and eyes with a small bit of white meat behind it. It wasnt long before my banded coral shrimp took it away and began to devour it.

I was miffed that i had lost one of my crabs. Right at this moment I then see both of my hermits moving on the rocks!

Has anyone got any idea what i sgoing on.

In other news it appears that my mithrax crab has either died or moulted.

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
coops

CBS can be very aggressive and it wouldn't surprise me if he kill the hermit. But it could have also been a molt, in which case he is probably hiding until his shell firms up

It is probably a molt. That description fits my hermits exactly, because sooner or later all of them will show up alive.

Coral Banded shrimp are so cool, I love them but will never have one again, i had one in my tank for a bit and he would alwys wave his pincers at my fish but never did anything, Untill one morning when i saw it eating one of my Fire Fish.. Took him out and back to the LFS for credit.

I've seen my CBS actually cleaning fish before. He is well fed. The fish are very comfortable around him as well. I cannot imagine him eating a fish....but I've seen more than a couple complaints about them attacking fish so maybe I am just lucky. *shrug*

Mine was well feed also, everytime durring feeding time for the fish i would give him a big chunk of squid but he still took my fire fish. I have read that it can be do to there size also. Mine was fairly big when i got it. So that could be why.

Back