Red Turf Algae?

drm180

Reefing newb
I can't get a picture but I'll try to explain what I have. On a rock in front of a powerhead I have this red wirey algae that grows very close to the rock. I can't scrape it off. Is this red turf? If so how do I get rid of the stuff. I've read that it is nearly impossible to remove.

That sounds like red turf algae. Bristly, stiff, wiry? Sen is our resident expert on it. Is it on a rock that can easily be removed from the tank?

Yes it is. No, it's on a rock at the bottom of a pile. I don't think there is a way to get it without upsetting my BTA and I don't want him strolling around.

Does it look like this ? Also, is it a dark red wine color?
A picture would help a lot. Best advice, if it is red turf, is to start controlling it early before it speads.

DSC02113_1024x768.jpg

Take the rock out if you can and place it into a bucket of tank water (from a water change) and then take a hard bristle brush and scrub to hell out of it. Rinse with salt water and repeat , if necessary. Good luck.

Take the rock out and throw it away:rofl:

Oh sorry man I just read too many bad things about that stuff. It spreads like wild fire.

Theres a sticky at the top of this forum. Sticky: Progress on Red Turf Algae ( 1 2)

The rock is the one that my BTA is in though and I'm really afraid of upsetting it and having it walk around the tank killing my other corals.

Sorry, I didn't realize their was a sticky post on this. Sen, you say that Stop Aiptasia will kill it. What about Aiptasia X? That's the only thing I have right now.

I know you dont want to disturb the nem but if you dont deal with that stuff you Will regret it.

I would use the Aiptasia X on it for now.

I think I'm going to try some turbo snails. How many should I get for my 25 gal. tank? Is there much of a risk of them knocking over rocks?

Okay. I needed to restock snails anyway. I did have a ton of breeding cerith snails but I don't see any of them anymore. I started with nassarius snails to and I haven't seen any siphons so I guess they're gone too.

there may not be enough food for them. or you could have something killing them or they are just dieing for the hell of it you just never know. i always try to keep alot of snails mainly for my sons tank so i can just grab a few to feed his puffer.

They vanished about the same time all my fish did last time. I've now restocked my fish so I may be good for snails again. I've got an outbreak of other algaes for some unknown reason no too so hopefully they will help. Maybe the algae is just from not having any snails.

could be what ever caused the fish to die caused all the snails to die also they are very sensitive to nitrates nitrites and ammonia

Back