Red volitan lionfish diet..?

mbrew

Reefing newb
I recently bought a juv lion, for my fish only predator tank, so far I'm pretty pleased with the addition, bought him Saturday, got him to eat a goldfish yesturday (Monday). I've tried feeding him again tonight another goldfish 3 different times, 3 hours apart, lfs told me that's what they were feeding him as well. Tonight he would hover over one of the goldfish and turn really pale, acted interested but it was a no go all 3 times, how often, do they eat and what other healthier things I could give him, besides some sick Ol goldfish :shock:

First and formost welcome to the site

second :
goldfish are basically the pigs of fish , and one of the nastiest/unhealthy fish you can feed a lionfish , because the goldfish is freshwater and the lionfish is saltwater the lion doesnt have the right amino acids to digest some of the fatty crap that the goldfish has. its like a human eating nothing but bacon very unhealthy

i would highly suggest that you try and train your lion to eat frozen foods ( krill ,silversides)

also you dont need to feed him so often ,every other day should be suffice, with a treat here and there.

once you train your lion to eat frozen food DO NOT FEED HIM LIVE FOOD AGAIN ( atleast thats what ive hear and that how i have always done it "once you go frozen, dont you go reverting" <<<hehe kindda rhymes no?)

Awesome, ya Ive been reading how goldfish are basically junk food, Im looking for something paired I could throw into my 90g reef tank and I could maybe just fish him something out of there (just a thought). I'm Just waiting till he grows and eats my mean ass damsels lol. But my goal is to have him eat live and frozen, going to start out with silversliders I think.

I'm going to try and post pics of both my setups but my iPhone is being a little lame at the moment so I'll have to wait till I'm on laptop.

First and formost welcome to the site

second :
goldfish are basically the pigs of fish , and one of the nastiest/unhealthy fish you can feed a lionfish , because the goldfish is freshwater and the lionfish is saltwater the lion doesnt have the right amino acids to digest some of the fatty crap that the goldfish has. its like a human eating nothing but bacon very unhealthy

i would highly suggest that you try and train your lion to eat frozen foods ( krill ,silversides)

also you dont need to feed him so often ,every other day should be suffice, with a treat here and there.

once you train your lion to eat frozen food DO NOT FEED HIM LIVE FOOD AGAIN ( atleast thats what ive hear and that how i have always done it "once you go frozen, dont you go reverting" <<<hehe kindda rhymes no?)

Mmmm, I eat goldfish and brine shrimp every day.

Back