Reef club meeting and coral swap

biodarwin

Reefing newb
Went to my first club meeting / swap today and picked up some pretty cool stuff!

newfrags007.jpg

newfrags008.jpg

newfrags009.jpg

newfrags010.jpg

newfrags011.jpg

Yeah. Do a goole search. They're SAID to be extinct in the wild. There might be some out there, but so far they have died off and the only know ones are in our tanks. I would love to get my hands on a frag, but they're kinda hard to find and a little pricey.

Wow I wish I wouldve known that when I got my live rock! Jimmy, the guy I purchased it from, had a piece of it that took up 1/4 of his 180.

My guess would be if they already died off they would just die again. I think there are plans to try, but I don't know when. I think garf said they planned on trying to replace them.

Great grabs Bio.

I'd heard that nepthia was endangered,but hadnt heard anything about them being extinct in the wild.
Guess I need to grab a frag from the store tomorrow.We've got a colony of it in the 380 thats huge.Were all the time fragging it.

O.K. sorry guys bout the question, but i'm confused:12:...I thought the nepthia and kenya tree were the same coral, just different names??? My lfs had it listed as a nepthia when I bought one, did research on it, found out thru research and from this forum that it was a kenya weed, so I got rid of it.

From peteducation.com...
"The Kenya Tree Coral, also referred to as a Cauliflower Soft Coral, Nephthea, or Nephthya, is similar to the members of both the Litophytonand Nephthea genera. It lives in a wide range of the Indo-Pacific. It has a thick trunk, like a tree, and many branches giving it an arboreal appearance."

Is this the same coral as the endangered one or a totally different one?

I won a couple frags of what looks like the same coral at a meeting last fall. I gave one away recently to another club member. I just figured it was a some kind of green leather. Our local club members tend to be very generous with sharing frags either at no or little cost. I just picked up a pink and purple birds nest for $10 from a club member.

TBH I had no idea that it was rare or endangered. It just popped in the tank at the LFS. The owner of the LFS took it out of his own personal tank to sell/trade at the swap. I absolutely love the colors. That last picture of zoanthids definitely surprised me the most. Once they fully opened up they "glow" under the actnics.

Thanks for all of the comments and I will everyone know when the nepthia will be ready to frag!

Local club meetings are great. You can always find nice stuff and good deals.

The nepthea that's supposedly extinct is from Palau. There are probably 100's of different types of nepthea/sinularia. I can't remember what the exact process is to tell them apart, but you have to take a slice and dissolve it in an acid then compare the strands that are left. Then it gets real technical...lol.

They say the Palau neptha is a glowing green. This has been in my system about 18 yrs. Who knows.............
leather_12-5-08.jpg

ccCapt is right on. There are many many species of nepthea. One is considered extinct, and others are considered endangered. Like he said too, if you get a green nepthia, it's impossible to tell what species you have exactly. You will have no idea if it's one of the extinct, endangered or totally common ones. They are pretty much indistinguishable by the eye, and their differences are at the molecular level. So good luck telling them apart unless you work in a biology lab!

I think that website selling them as "extinct in the wild" probably has no way to back that claim up. How do they know that's the one? It could be any of a hundred other species instead.

Kenya trees look similar, but are a different color than neptheas. They are related, but are by no means rare.

Back