reef crystals???? anyone know of this magic stuff

garydm

Reefing newb
Ok the guy I bought the big rock with zoa"s all pver it Had a Gorgeous tank I mean awesome I wish I had a camera…..he was running tek2 lights about 5 of them and had every sp and coral growing great and I asked if he dosed or what he used and he said he would do 10% water change and use reef crystals???? What are they and how do they benefit the aquarium……I was blown away by his 110 gallon reef It was the best looking I have seen in person ever…..

reef crystals is supposed to be more along with the water quality at a reef. No harm in using that brand, I use it now, way more stable than instant ocean, jmo.

To be honest I've done I think three water changes. Tests are the same for me as when I was using Red Sea Pro Coral salt. No difference that I've seen yet.

How many water changes have you done with it so far? Do you like it? Any change in corals? How does it mix? Any slime left in the mixing bucket? How does it test?

Man, Pilot, whew, where to start....my salinity and calcium are perfect with no adding, just a and b once a week. Change 10%, 5 gallons once a weekend, getting ready to do it now. I have been using it for about 2 months and the corals seem great, even under my pc light. I mix it with a heater and a #1 Korilla overnight, no slime, but a little crystals at the bottom of the bucket so I pour the water in my sump.

To be honest I've done I think three water changes. Tests are the same for me as when I was using Red Sea Pro Coral salt. No difference that I've seen yet.

I just started using the Red Sea Pro Coral. I'm not sold on it just yet. Maybe 5 or 6 water changes. So far I like the way it tests and the corals look good. My only complaint is gray slime on the powerhead and heater in the mixing bucket and a little gray dust/slime on the bottom of the bucket. Did you ever experience this?

Why did you stop using this salt? You switched for a reason - why?

I didn't noticed any slime with either. I switched mainly because I got tired of paying for the 5 gallon buckets and thought the boxed salt mixes were a better value. I do things a little differently and only do a water change once every 6-8 weeks. But I do a large one of 60-70 gallons. I like doing it all at once less often. On my small tank I do a water change about once every other week.

Been using Reef Crystals for the last few months and my calcium has started dropping for the first time in my tank's 2 year history. (I did not add any corals since last summer). I don't know if Reef Crystals is the cause but I am not impressed with it.

I was using Oceanic. I always had low alk, magnesium and pH. After 2.5yrs I finally switched to the Red Sea Pro Coral because it was the cheapest stuff that still comes in a bucket. I like the buckets for storing RO water and new salt water.

The jury is still out. I'll give it 1 bucket of salt to make up my mind.

The reason I'm asking so many questions is because I ALMOST went with Reef Crystals or SeaChem. Depending on how my tanks look after 200g of Red Sea - I may still switch to Reef Crystals or SeaChem.

I use Tropic Marin. What slime are you guys talkingi about? I've only ever used Tropic Marin, and I am only fowler, so I have nothing to compare it to. No slime in the buckets, though.

I use Tropic Marin. What slime are you guys talkingi about? I've only ever used Tropic Marin, and I am only fowler, so I have nothing to compare it to. No slime in the buckets, though.

Yeah, I get the white slime (Looks like an off-white powder in the mixing bucket after it has had time to settle.)

I used to get the slime when I used IO. I since switched to Oceanic and have had no slime or other issues with it. Some people get it, and others don't!

I didnt like instant ocean when I first got into this hobby,so never did try their reef crystals.
I liked Oceanic when I was using it.Loved SeaChem reef and will go back to SeaChem when I finish off this bucket of Brightwells salt.

i currently use reef crystals. my calc is almost always 430 with no extra dosing. been using it for 2 years now. I do a water change every 2 weeks. (do to the fish, not the calcium or salt)

Back