reef crystals???? anyone know of this magic stuff

I still want to try them all. I guess I will - one bucket at a time. :mrgreen: Unless I fall in love with one particular brand - but I doubt that will happen. Each salt seams to have it's pros and cons.

Reef Crystals - SeaChem - Tropic Marine -- are all on the list.

Yeah, I get the white slime (Looks like an off-white powder in the mixing bucket after it has had time to settle.)

Thats it. Kind of annoying. I wonder what it is? Would be interesting to take it to a lab and have it analyzed.

I have been using reef crystals for a year now. I have been happy with it no slime. I think it mixes better then IO when I used that back in the 90's

Thats it. Kind of annoying. I wonder what it is? Would be interesting to take it to a lab and have it analyzed.
Here ya go.
What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Most salt mixes leave behind a solid residue when dissolved, although the extent to which this occurs varies from brand to brand. I use Instant Ocean and rarely clean out the 44-gallon trashcan that I mix it in, so a significant residue builds up over time (Figure 1). In preparation for this article I removed some of this solid material, and found that it could be almost completely dissolved in hydrochloric acid with lots of bubbling. This demonstrates that these solids were probably calcium carbonate (CaCO[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]), perhaps also containing magnesium. Pure magnesium carbonate is undersaturated in seawater (which is detailed in later sections of this article)[SIZE=-1] 1[/SIZE] and should dissolve in marine systems, so it isn't likely to be the precipitated material, although there may be significant magnesium in the calcium carbonate.

Based on the fact that the material exists as sheets that clearly did not arrive in the mix (as opposed to a fine powder which might have), I conclude that at least a significant fraction of this residue formed in the barrel. I cannot, however, rule out the possibility that some solid calcium or magnesium carbonate may have existed in the salt mix and was cemented together by additional precipitation of calcium carbonate during dissolution or storage.

When salt mixes are dissolved, there exist local regions where the salt concentration is very high. In those local regions, the calcium and alkalinity must also be very high. In fact, as seawater is concentrated by evaporation, there is a well-established series of minerals that precipitate as the salinity increases. In this series, calcium and magnesium carbonate are the first to precipitate, appearing at a specific gravity of about 1.140, which is about a 50% solution of salt in water.[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE] Such conditions may well exist on the bottom of a saltwater reservoir as the salt is dissolving.

With some mixes (but not the Instant Ocean that I use), the initial pH on dissolution may be very high (pH 8.5-9 [SIZE=-1]+[/SIZE]). As shown in detail later in this article, pH can play a dominant role in determining the rate of calcium carbonate precipitation, and such a high pH would make it more likely to precipitate.

It has been suggested by some aquarists that some salt mixes may contain anti-caking agents, such as clays. I do not know if this is true, but if it is, they may form part of the residue that is left behind after dissolution.

In order to minimize the formation of insoluble carbonate salts when mixing, the following suggestions may be helpful:
1. Add the salt to a full batch of water, rather than adding water slowly to a large batch of salt. The latter allows a greater time at much higher than natural seawater salinity, which may tend to precipitate calcium and magnesium salts.
2. Stir the mixture vigorously as it is being dissolved.
3. If using a mix with a high initial pH, aerate the mixture as well as stirring it. The aeration will reduce the pH.

Here ya go.
What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
Most salt mixes leave behind a solid residue when dissolved, although the extent to which this occurs varies from brand to brand. I use Instant Ocean and rarely clean out the 44-gallon trashcan that I mix it in, so a significant residue builds up over time (Figure 1). In preparation for this article I removed some of this solid material, and found that it could be almost completely dissolved in hydrochloric acid with lots of bubbling. This demonstrates that these solids were probably calcium carbonate (CaCO[SIZE=-1]3[/SIZE]), perhaps also containing magnesium. Pure magnesium carbonate is undersaturated in seawater (which is detailed in later sections of this article)[SIZE=-1] 1[/SIZE] and should dissolve in marine systems, so it isn't likely to be the precipitated material, although there may be significant magnesium in the calcium carbonate.

Based on the fact that the material exists as sheets that clearly did not arrive in the mix (as opposed to a fine powder which might have), I conclude that at least a significant fraction of this residue formed in the barrel. I cannot, however, rule out the possibility that some solid calcium or magnesium carbonate may have existed in the salt mix and was cemented together by additional precipitation of calcium carbonate during dissolution or storage.

When salt mixes are dissolved, there exist local regions where the salt concentration is very high. In those local regions, the calcium and alkalinity must also be very high. In fact, as seawater is concentrated by evaporation, there is a well-established series of minerals that precipitate as the salinity increases. In this series, calcium and magnesium carbonate are the first to precipitate, appearing at a specific gravity of about 1.140, which is about a 50% solution of salt in water.[SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE] Such conditions may well exist on the bottom of a saltwater reservoir as the salt is dissolving.

With some mixes (but not the Instant Ocean that I use), the initial pH on dissolution may be very high (pH 8.5-9 [SIZE=-1]+[/SIZE]). As shown in detail later in this article, pH can play a dominant role in determining the rate of calcium carbonate precipitation, and such a high pH would make it more likely to precipitate.

It has been suggested by some aquarists that some salt mixes may contain anti-caking agents, such as clays. I do not know if this is true, but if it is, they may form part of the residue that is left behind after dissolution.

In order to minimize the formation of insoluble carbonate salts when mixing, the following suggestions may be helpful:
1. Add the salt to a full batch of water, rather than adding water slowly to a large batch of salt. The latter allows a greater time at much higher than natural seawater salinity, which may tend to precipitate calcium and magnesium salts.
2. Stir the mixture vigorously as it is being dissolved.
3. If using a mix with a high initial pH, aerate the mixture as well as stirring it. The aeration will reduce the pH.
Ya what he said. :D

Interesting read Capt.

I mix my new salt water like this:
New salt water gets mixed on Sunday - right after I do my weekly water changes and all the buckets are empty.

Full bucket of RO water. The powerhead is on and the heater is on. But the water is usually fresh out of the RO unit so it's freezing cold.

I measure out my salt (usually 2 level cups) and shake it in. Takes about 10 seconds to shake in a cup of salt. I let it sit for about 10-20 minutes and then return to shake in the 2nd cup of salt. Then I put the lid on it and let it sit until Monday.

Monday I pull the lid and shut off the powerhead. Drop the floating hydrometer in and let it bounce around for 10 minutes until it's stable. Make sure the salinity is correct. Double check the temp - yup 76F.

Turn the power head on and put the lid over it. Then it sits all week to marinate and mix. I double check it again the next Sunday before I dump it into the tanks.

I might start waiting until the water comes up to temp before shaking the salt in. But I don't know if that will help or not.

The only thing I wonder about is the lid and what effect the lack of aeration has on the pH. If it stays high it can cause some excess precipitation.

Thats a great point Capt.
I also let my salt/water mix for a week before doing the water change,except I dont cover it.I've also never had the slime left over either.

Sorry - left out the part where my powerhead has an intake hose and it bubbles all week. I drilled a hole in the lid - but I didn't want to leave the entire top open since it's dusty where I live. Colorado is dry and the wind is always blowin' so it's dusty. I wanted to keep the dust out and still be able to aerate the water so I drilled a hole in the lid. The pump sucks in room air and it can vent out through the hole.

I'd bet it's probably temp related, then. If carbonates precipitate out, it's tough to get them back in solution at the pH's we work at. I'd try bringing it up to temp before adding salt, like you said. Let us know what happens. :)

I have used instant ocean since day one. I just ordered two boxes of it from Drs. F&S and they shipped me Reef Crystals. WTF? I suppose I will use it rather than sending it back, and will let you all know if I see and benefit or detriment.

Started using Reef Crystals a few months ago and my cal levels dropped after using it. I can't say Reef Crystals is the cause but I don't think it is a miracle salt mix.

I'm upset that Foster & Smith sent this stuff to me, and I plan to switch back to IO. In the mean time I consider this an experiment that will hopefully yield useful data for the LivingReefs community.

There isn't too much difference between IO and RC except RC has higher calcium (400 vs 490), higher alk (11dKH vs 13 dKH) and higher mag (1350 vs 1440).

There isn't too much difference between IO and RC except RC has higher calcium (400 vs 490), higher alk (11dKH vs 13 dKH) and higher mag (1350 vs 1440).

It seems like the extra chems in RC just get sucked right out of the water quick and then you are dosing a short while after your water change. Makes me wonder if the extra cost is worth it.

Ok the guy I bought the big rock with zoa"s all pver it Had a Gorgeous tank I mean awesome I wish I had a camera…..he was running tek2 lights about 5 of them and had every sp and coral growing great and I asked if he dosed or what he used and he said he would do 10% water change and use reef crystals???? What are they and how do they benefit the aquarium……I was blown away by his 110 gallon reef It was the best looking I have seen in person ever…..

It's marine salt mix from the makers of Instant Ocean a quality salt mix in its own rite.. I use it on a regular basis with good results. But, after using most of the salts in the < $50 a bucket range, I like D&D instant H2o the best so far. It costs a bit more, but I get great polyp extension and use less salt to make NSW. Soon Seachem's Aquavitro salt will hit the market and is getting very good reviews. I'll try a bucket of it after I run out of my Reef Crystals.... Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Back