Reef Nutz Where are You??

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Dude where are you? This thread is just for you so read on if you can.

Ok so I have this 75 Gal sump tank that I got with the 220. I removed the panels the guy had in it because for one they weren't even glued in good and had leaks and 2 there was too much silicone used.

Plus now I am about to order a Reef octopus Extreme 250 and it has like a 16 inch foot print.

I do not have any intention of putting sand in it. I basically want it like this.

Skimmer - Rock/Chaeto - Return

I was reading a thread where someone was asking about using a sand bed in the refugium but man I had one and started getting nervous about its long term use.

So my question to you is why, what and how do you use dose vodka? I do not need the whole scientific deal just your practices and how to know how much and things overdoing can do.

Again about the sump, I feel using the way I want it is simple and won't be all nasty. It is actually how it is set up now in my proflex sump except this time the skimmer will have its own spot in the front row.

Is it permanent? Is the thread still up? It must have been bad to get banned cuz I myself have read some bad stuff and posted it too.

Sorry dude.

Well Im not Reef Nutz, thankfully, but I can answer some of your questions.

The only way that I would use sand in a sump is if it were a deep sand bed (6" or greater) otherwise its going to be nitrate factory. You need that 6" depth for the DSB to have denitrifying benefits. BUT that being said, you would be a lot better off doing a Remote DSB in a 5 gallon bucket so that you can swap it out on occasion. There is a theory that DSB's cause "old tank syndrome" basically random tank crashes when a DSB gets disturbed.

Vodka Dosing on the other hand I have never done. I have read about it and this might be a good link to bookmark if you are going to do it.

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Just remember with ANY organic carbon dosing regimen, precision is absolutely essential to doing it right. If you get sloppy your corals WILL die. You also have to keep a very close eye on things to make sure that you aren't getting too much bacterial growth.

And Reef Nutz' ban is permanent. He can only attack people so many times before the whole board gets completely fed up with it. Being a troll on a forum is never condusive for being allowed to hang around for long. :mrgreen:

Haha Ryan... Yea, reef nutz was a nasty peice of work, even to me.

One thing with vodka dosing you need to remember is this, it removes oxygen from the water. So when you overdose, you can actually suffocate your corals.

Vodka dosing feeds bacteria which help change bad chemicals. With this, it is ESSENTIAL to have an extremely powerful skimmer as without it, you will see little to no results. The skimmer is what helps take these converted particles out of the tank.

So the key, dose daily or no effect and have a powerful cleaned skimmer or no effect. And I believe it is not straight vodka, you need to add something else to it for it to be highly effective.

Yea, well, he never treated me that well, from day one. Also gave some dangerous advice at times.

I know the guy had a little bit of a cult following here...but he didn't give great advice or have an ounce of tact in his body. The site is better off without him.

whatever happened to Doc? i always liked reading his responces, oh and that guy that lived in alaska that only liked corals or something my memory is bad wait he was banned i think

Hehehe ban em all!! :p Jokes, dont ban me!! :shock:
Anyways that reef guy copy'd and pasted everything, it was annoying!! :roll: Oh well.

first person I really saw him take aggressions out on was jmck, didnt like contradictions to his opinions, which I think we all could use from time to time..
i like to learn something I didnt know before..:D

He was also cool to me as well.

Oh well I can't make an excuse but I too have had my arguments but I also don't take full credit for them :D

I guess all of at times take offense to someones reply and yeah sometimes we should take a stand and sometimes not depending on how it is written.

Counter advice is ok but insults are not.

It's the internet. It's hard to see a person's intonation, sarcasm and jokes, but it's easy for things to get blown out of proportion....and from reading the posts that end up in bans and hurt feelings, it usually starts with one person taking it a step too far.

Yea, unfortunately the internet isnt the best forum for arguments, but no moderator here is quick at banning someone. And yes, he didnt like it when I told him he was wrong ;)

I just didnt like his advice, not because he had no merit, just because the he worded things can really confuse newer members.

Back