Reef Octo HOB skimmer not producting bubbles?

felixfish

newbie reefer
I have since added a 29g sump with ATS, and took my RO HOB skimmer from the DT to the sump. I took off the 90 degree elbow that sucked in the water so it would be under the water level in the sump. It appeared to be running ok for a week, then now its barely producing bubbles? I plugged the air tube and it produced a ton of bubbles. What do you think can be wrong? I took it all apart, cleaned it and still the same thing. I tried turning off the return pump to raise the water level and it still didn't do anything.

Last edited:
You said you have the air intake hose installed correctly? And when you plugged up the hose then you started getting bubbles?

Yes it is, I have had it running on my tank for 6mo. It is producing very little bubbles on it's own, and I was just trying anything to make more bubbles. All I did (when I moved it to my sump) is take that 90 degree tube off so it would be under water level. It doesn't hav much suction now.

If you plug the air line, you should get no air, and a ton of water up the neck and into the collection cup. Something does not seem right.

Yes I tried that and watched the water level and cup rise! I'm thinking I'm either missing a washer, or some part where the impeller is. It seemed as if everything is in there, but I'll probably have to try and find a manual for it. Just sucks because it's barely skimming, and I'm relying only on my ATS.

If you plugged it, and the air stopped, and water started to fill the cup then it is all hooked up correctly. That leads me to believe that you need to either adjust the water level in your sump, or adjust the skimmer via the outlet.

Back