Reef octopus 800s help

EaZy DuZ iT

Reefing newb
I just purchased a Used Reef octopus 800s for 80 dollars and I'm going insane. I tried everything to get this to run right but it wont. The best i got it to run was that the water level got so aw that water kept bubbling into the suction cup until it was full. How the hell do you get this thing to work, I hate this skimmer!

use the little dial to reduce the amount of flow going into the skimmer. One of my skimmers kept doing this no matter what i did with the dial, so i took it out gave it a crazy clean with fresh water and now works perfectly so try that as well.

Also, skimmers need to be "broken in" Even though it is used, it has mostlikely been sitting for a while and has dried out. I would clean it really good with vinegar. Especially the hose and the air intake hole. It might be clogged. The vinegar will disolve any calcium deposits that might be in it. Vinegar is also a wonderfull general purpous cleaner for anything in your tank.

Skimmers usually take 2 to 3 weeks to break in, before they start working. Until then, keep it running, but have it turned down so that stuff doesn't enter the cup and risk flooding.

You will run into this no matter what skimmer you buy.

put the collection cup high so that it does not collect any water at all. i have that same skimmer but i have modded mine a bit. the other thing that you can do that will help is run the skimmer in a bucket of vingar it will help to break it in a bit faster it cuts all the machining oils from the plastic. feel free to pm me about that skimmer any time

Back