Reef Octopus Extreme 160

Thank you for your advice fastrd but I think the octopus looks like better quality. Do you guys think that the 160 is big enough for a 110 gallon tank with 3 large fish, or do I need the 200?

Thank you for your advice fastrd but I think the octopus looks like better quality. Do you guys think that the 160 is big enough for a 110 gallon tank with 3 large fish, or do I need the 200?

No problem, to each their own man. I think you'll be equally happy with the Reef Octopus. Your wallet may not though, lol :Cheers:

They are powered by different pumps. Also, the xs model is a cone skimmer. XS has a smaller footprint. The xs has a gate valve adjustment, rather than the tube adjustment like the extreme has.

Not sure honestly. I think they are both great skimmers. The xs had no reviews. I think you'd be happy with either one. The cone design is the newer design, and alot of people are favoring them. Look on some sites and see if you can find reviews for both. Aqua cave did not have both reviewed.

Just from taking a quick look at reviews I noticed multiple people saying that the xs has a loud pump while multiple people said that the regular extreme model had a particularly quite pump. My mother has made it clear that she doesn't want another loud piece of equipment...

Hu, I just googled "sicce pump 1000" and found this thing on a forum were the guy had upgraded his 2500 to a 1000 and said it was much quieter... So many different opinions on the internet... I think I'll go with the xs, it's the newer version for a reason.

The ex is a newer version with a gate valve and a different cone shape body, and pump. I have had the 160extreme for about 2 years and like. I like the idea of the gate valve on the ex because you can fine tune it much better than the tube style. Mine is in my sump under the tank in the base cabinet so I don't even notice it running. It is very quiet even with the doors open.

great skimmer i have it on my 90 gallon and i built a stand out of pvc and egg crate to get it to its optimal level see pics

Attachments

• P5081613.jpg
    P5081613.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 683
  • P5081614.jpg
    P5081614.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 673
  • P6191813.jpg
    P6191813.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 699
I got it (extreme xs 200 actually). Now I need to decide whether to send it back or not. The thing is, I've decided not to put any fish with my eel and to instead set up a 75 gallon reef tank. I was looking at reef octopus HOB skimmers and the biggest on is for 90 gallons, I think. I guess I could use it on a 75 gallon but I don't know if it's worth spending this much money on an over-sized skimmer. If I eventually upgrade the reef to my 110 I would then need to upgrade. Ergh, I'm not sure what to do.

I've decided to keep it. I put it together but I'm not exactly sure what it's supposed to do. I ran it and it makes the water bubbly. crazy cajun, what does yours do, exactly?

Back