reef octopus nw 110 skimmer quetion

Pwny

Reefing newb
i just hooked my skimmer up to my tank and the colection cup fill's with water, is this part of the breakin period or did i do somthing wrong

That black tube adjusts the water level in the skimmer. So just push that baby down and it shouldn't boil over like that. I <3 my NW 110.

sump2.jpg

sump3.jpg

this is it with the pipe fully open if i close it, seams like it flows up worse

If that's what it's doing fully open, then I think you're just going to have to wait for it to break in.

Do you use any tap water conditioners or dechlorinators? If so, that causes that type of behavior as well. You will have to switch to using either RODI water, or SeaChem Prime as a conditioner. Prime doesn't screw with skimmers.

You have to get that skimmer way up or drop the water level in the sump way down. Skimmers run best in 6"-10" of water. Your basically flooding the skimmer running it that deep. It will never work like you have it now.

Once you raise the skimmer or drop the water level in the sump, the red knob is how you adjust the water level inside the skimmer.

Here's the directions:
5. Put the skimmer in sump and plug it in. Water level in sump should be 6”-10” as long as it is not covering the water outlet pipe. Turn the gate valve to adjust the water level inside the skimmer. The water level inside the skimmer should be an inch above where the neck transition starts for the initial setup.
http://www.aquacave.com/Manuals/CORALVUE-NW110B-gate-valve-Instructions.pdf

Last edited:
ya i was playing with it and it needs to be pulled up atleast 6 inchs prolly, thx for the help. ill make a stand for it soon :)

Back