Reef Octopus skimmer not working

Marinne13

Northern Reefer
I bought a BH1000 HOB skimmer and it has been on my tank for a week...at first it was producing bubbles up the chamber collection cup and now nothing????

I can't get bubbles in it at all, no matter where I adjust the height, what could have cause this?

am I SOL or has anyone experienced this

Did the air line come undone. If not try to blow in it. Also check the recommended high for your skimmer. Sometimes when they are to deep they will not draw air.

recommended high? I haven't touched the skimmer and this happened overnight, you think maybe the air line is clogged

I checked everything, took the skimmer off and looked it over/rinsed it with RODI water and put it back on and I am getting the same thing

some sand got kicked up when we put our live rock in, would that effect it?

Last edited:
Are you talking about bubbles in the toilet chamber or no bubbles in the water chambers coming off the pump? If the pump is not producing bubbles you have a problem.

If the poop cup doesnt have any thats ok just let it run sometimes I get no bubbles at all after a water change or messing around in the tank.

oh ok, yeah we just put our 45lbs of live rock in and stirred up the sand...there is no foam in the collection cup chamber, there is a ton of bubbles being produced by the pump

If its new its still in the process of breaking in, and if your tank is new as well then there might not be a lot for it to skim yet. Have you cycled the tank and added livestock yet? If not, then once you do add live stock and start feeding you will see more skimmate :)

I have the BH2000 HOB and every time I clean it it take a few days for it to start spouting crud again. If you have bubbles in the chambers I'm sure you'll be fine.

Back