..Reef or FOWLR

Tanner

Tanerious Swimeroundus
Im very torn between which to make. Reefs are so breath taking and beautiful. FOWLRS you have a more wide variety of fish to choose from though am I right?

Like, urg haha, Anyone have any opinions on this? And maybe have pics of an eye catching, somewhat exciting looking fowlr??:sfish:

JMO
But if I was gonna set up a FOWLR,it would be strictly a predator tank.Something like a big eel,or maybe even a pacific blue ring.
Yeah,you have to limit the fish in a reef tank,but theres a whole lot more you can do with corals.

Also with a fish only tank you are limited too. So many fish just don't get along with each other. With a reef you can have the best of both. A couple of beautiful fish and endless selections of very colorful, beautiful corals. Go with a reef!!!

Gotta go with the reef tank there is just so much more to do and play with. However, I wouldn't mind setting up a lil gladiator tank for a mantis on the side some day after my reef tank was complete, that I still have yet to start..:shock:.

How about reef first, and then FOWLR :scratch:

I don't know if you think this is going to be your last tank, but...it won't :shock:

"I keep trying to get out, but they just keep pulling me back in"...if it wasn't for that line I'd never would have bought the trilogy pack (why else would you watch the third one?)

Plus, look at this way...if you take some time to get your tank well establish by keeping it a FOWLR for a good while (at least a few months) it'll be that much better for when you add the coral later.

FOWLR would require a huge tank for it to be worth it, as in an aggressive tank. You have to know you'd have a place to put a tank that size.

Reefs give you a lot more customization all around. Only problem is the price tag.

What I want to do down the road is keep my 55 reef and move all my fish that'll be bigger by then into a HUGE predator tank, like a 280 (okay it's not exactly huge to people like winyfrog, huge to me though). Then I'll just keep like a mandarin and maybe like 2 other really cool small fish in the 55 with all my wonderful future corals. Or maybe I'll just make it a seahorse tank, who knows.

They're both really cool in their own ways, but seeing as you're on a site called Living Reefs, I think you should know what to expect people to say. :question:

I was initialy going with fowlr but decided to give reef a go This is my set up after two years from a complete novice, I started with a 5 foot tank but soon wanted a bigger one this is a 6x2x2 what can i say! Its your wallets decision:shock:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 255
reef.

fish are cool and all but they are BORING

AMEN to that!!

I only have a fish in my tank so people don't come over to my house and ask, "Where's the fish?"

It's right there, I got one stupid fish in there, so shut the hell up. :mrgreen:

Corals are so much cooler than fish. Don't get me wrong, I love Nemo and my kids love him too. He's like a little puppy that follows me along the glass as I move in front of the tank. He eats right off the end of my finger.

But there ain't any fish that look like this:

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 260
I had to make the same decision several months ago when I started my 125. After months of reading, researching, asking, and doing some MORE reading, I decided I REALLY wanted the reef tank. I figured, if I was willing to invest so much time and money into my tank, I didn't want to settle for just fish. True, there are some really cool fish that just aren't reef safe (triggers, i.e.), but there are plenty of awesome reef safe fish with wonderful personalities (tangs, clowns, blennies, i.e.) and putting together a wonderful and colorful community of fish AND coral is more hypnotic and peaceful to me than simply watching fish swimming around. Watching it all grow into a reef and an established ecosystem is the most rewarding part for me (and helps me stomach the cost a little easier)! Anyway, there is my two cents.

Back