reef related injuries, and emergency contacts

d.french

Reef enthusiast
Anyone have any bad experiences with corals or inverts, being allergic reactions and how to care for injuries. I think this would be a good discussion topic cause we have had multiple instances in our local club with palytoxin illness and puncture wounds with serious infections directly related to reef tanks.

i did find one divers website for signs and symptoms.

DAN Divers Alert Network : Marine Life Trauma

hopefully we can get something in helpful articles and some more links for information on what to do in case someone has an accident. For those of us in middle of country or other places some doctors arent sure how to or what to do for treatments to reef related infections or diseases.

well we have had few people get bad allergic reactions to lps corals but obviously they pack a big sting.

We also had one younger reefer fragging zoas and one squirted him in the eye and he start puking like crazy and was rushed to ER luckily his father was head surgeon there and he got first class treatment.

And the last incident was puncture wounds from something in tank and result in what seemed to be a type of blood poisoning and he is now home recovering thank god and his hand was swollen real bad.

can't preach it enough and even i'm guilty of it get some full arm length gloves, better safe than sorry.

we did have a incident here on living reefs with a forum member that had touch zoas or palys and rubbed there eye and had some problems from it also. can't remember who it was. So just something to think about when you re position that rock of palys and on gets smashed open on your finger don't rub your eyes or mouth those things can make you very ill and even cause death.

we did have a incident here on living reefs with a forum member that had touch zoas or palys and rubbed there eye and had some problems from it also. can't remember who it was.

It was Michelle. She ended up in the hospital, and she posted pics here. It was awful looking, and I bet it felt even worse.

this is a very good topic to have with my luck... LOL. i've been bitten by my eel, ripped open by a 7in bristleworm (whos still living in the tank, dangit!) annnnd stung by a jellyfish... all without having to leave my room! LOL. the bristleworm was the worst Dx

i'm subscribing to this thread :)

I think I'm going to get those full armed gloves to wear when putting my hands in the tank. Too many scary stories out there. May be goggles too! :lol:

dude you are all about the travel arent you? hehehe
first you wanted to come down to tx and now you wanna go to cali? and you call yourself a reefer? shouldnt you be spending time with YOUR tank(s)?

hehehe I'm just messn w/ you! hehehe

I should probably get me some of thoes gloves.. even tho i dont have all that much in the tank right now, there could still be bacteria or something that could make me sick...

Well, I am unemployed right now so I am going crazy just bumming around the house. And if someone wants to pay for me to go somewhere to help them out, I got all the time in the world right now.:mrgreen:

Brian

Well, I am unemployed right now so I am going crazy just bumming around the house. And if someone wants to pay for me to go somewhere to help them out, I got all the time in the world right now.:mrgreen:

Haha! You may be sorry you said that! In our new house, the only lighting comes from the wall outlets, and we want to put recessed lighting into the ceilings in all the rooms eventually. I bet it would be cheaper for me to get you a plane ticket out here than it will be to hire an electrician to do the whole house!

Haha! You may be sorry you said that! In our new house, the only lighting comes from the wall outlets, and we want to put recessed lighting into the ceilings in all the rooms eventually. I bet it would be cheaper for me to get you a plane ticket out here than it will be to hire an electrician to do the whole house!

Is the house one or two story?

One story is ALOT easier since you can go up into the attic and do everything in there.

But I think you would need to buy me new tools I dont think they allow them on planes:mrgreen:

Is the house one or two story?

One story is ALOT easier since you can go up into the attic and do everything in there.

But I think you would need to buy me new tools I dont think they allow them on planes:mrgreen:

One story. But houses in Arizona don't have attics. They don't even have crawl spaces.

OHH yeah the original reason why I was gonna post here.

The best thing to help with reducing the risk of injury is use the proper PPE in the way it was meant to be used. Also, use good hygeine around your tank. Wash up before you put your hands in your tank and examine them or any open wounds. Also wash up after, so you don't rub something you don't want in your eyes and mouth wich are the best ways to introduce all sorts of nastys to your body.
As for punctures and tears and stings, treat your tank like it's a dark dry wood pile. be careful about what you touch, and examine it before you touch. It's like avoiding black widows, brown recluse, western diamondbacks and all those other nasty lil buggers

Back