reef safe and agressive?

PufferGuy

Reefing newb
any fish that fits the criteria? reason im asking is because my scopas/yellow hybrid tang is an A$$!!! I will be taking him out in the near future when i move the fishtank to the basement, but im also moving back to school so i want to get the last fish to replace him now (tank will be moved in about a month when the "cubby hole" for the tank is done) because ill be out of money after im in school

basically i need a reef safe fish that will hold it's own untill the tang is removed.. i like colorful and active (i know its gonna be hard to find but i figured id try)

Most all Tangs except the kind you have are peaceful to one another if added together. I would not risk anything new with the Scopas right now. Wait until your get rid of it altogether. Of course a Tang or Angel isn't really recommended for a tank of your size, so another reason to wait for your new tank. What size is your new tank going to be?

aside from dwarf angels... is there anything thats reef safe-ish??

i dunno if i would wanna take this route but im just looking at all my options

As far as Angels? Is that what you mean?
All Angels have the potential to be non-reef safe fish, even dwarfs. Some have had Angels stay away from their corals and some haven't. Sometimes they start out safe, but then become coral eaters later. It depends on the fish and your tank.

yeah i mean i know dwarf angels can be reef safe-ish, but is there anything else that i could look into in that category?

Most of the others hate them but you could try a javanese damsel. but dont tell the others i told you. :frustrat: they would tease me till I had to leave the forum forever.:shock:. they are semi agrresive and reef safe. But most of the reefers hate damsels:question: I just cant figure out why. If you find a good one they have some amazimg colors I have one in my tank

We hate them because they are cheap and easy to keep. We only like the fish that we have to suffer with because they cost too much and die for some unknown reason. Now that's a fish! :lol:

My first suggestion would be a Pecula Clown or another clown variety. I have found that Pecula Clown is very peaceful, doesn't touch my coral and is highly entertaining. Mine seriously acts retarded..especially the way it swims and even sleeps. It sleeps on it's side and occasionally upside down. Either way, I have had it amongst peaceful fish as well as semi-aggressive fish and it can hold it's own pretty well. You may have problems with aggressive fish but then I wouldn't know this for sure.

My second suggestion would be a Coral Beauty. They can range from being peaceful to semi-aggressive depending on the particular temperament of the fish. The only drawback to them besides what I just stated is that they have a tendency to nip at everything in the tank all day long. Mine nips at just about everything from rocks to sand. I have only had one problem where a little piece was taken out of my mushroom and I suspect it was him that did it. Otherwise I haven't had a problem. Then again, I really don't have any coral besides one small mushroom and an anemone.

I hope this helps. I don't have a whole lot of experience with a lot of different fish because I tend to stick to small fish that don't exceed about 4 inches.

We hate them because they are cheap and easy to keep. We only like the fish that we have to suffer with because they cost too much and die for some unknown reason. Now that's a fish! :lol:
Ya know I have been actually thinking of just having chromis and damsels for that reason. I am so sick of paying 50 bucks for a fish that dies in two months. The money is gonna go into corals (when I get some) the fish will be just window dressing.

The fish I just discovered 2 minutes ago and which is a totally awesome fish... a bob the seagoblin aka frogfish! :bounce:

I would not go with the dwarf angels. I had two in my reef and had to tear the tank apart to get them out. They nearly wrecked my reef. But if you do add them be ready to tear the tank down as you`ll never catch them with the LR in there.

Take the scopas back to the LFS, in a tank that size you will not be able to add anything to it without it getting beat up.

Blennies - bicolor, midas, or canary
Gobies - wide variety of colors and types
Chromis - such as the blue/green, blue reef chromis, vanderbilt, sunshine
Royal gramma
chalk basslet

Back