Reef Safe Baterial Medication

john0087

Reefing newb
Hey all,

Rookie mistake, I did not QT my new Ocellaris Clown. I buy all my livestock from the same and reputable LFS, so I did not QT this additiona and it looks like he has a bacterial infection. White cotton like growth near his gills and mouth.

Is there a bacterial treatment I can use in my display? I have read that the API treatments are reef safe. I currently have in the tank 3 sps frags, a small zoa colony and a green bta.

I can set up a QT tonight, but I am worried that now the entire display is contaminated.

Thanks for any advise.

John

Nope, there is no "reef safe" medication that'll be efficient enough to kill anything. You never want to treat your dt, especially since you're keeping corals and inverts. So go ahead and set up a qt tank and treat the infected fish.

+1 Smitty...APIs' "Furan 2" can ruin a reef tank. There're no REAL shortcuts in this hobby & its not like you sue API when the worst DOES happen!!!

Thanks guys, but too late. My wife just sent me a txt saying she saw the body of our new clown being eaten by cuc.

I won't make that mistake again.

John

It's a safe assumption that if it's 'reef safe' it probably isn't doing anything but emptying your wallet and making your skimmer foam like crazy

Yep, a common joke when referring to "reef safe" medications is, "Oh, another bacteria-safe med!" or "Another ich-safe med!"

Sorry to hear about your clown, though. That blows. :(

Back