Reef safe wrasse

Beautiful fish! I had read one description of leopard wrasse that they didn't recommend it for beginners and that they eat small crustaceans. What is your opinion. And when it is said not for beginner does that mean newly started tanks?

there are not recommended for beginners because they usually dont survive long in tanks because they are not good shippers, they also eat copepods and things living in the sand bed so you need a very well established system. also they arent recommended for beginners because they rarely ever eat frozen food in tanks

Considering that I have 3 pj cardinalfish, 1 Tomini tang, 1 Hippo tang, 1 percula clown, 1 panther grouper, 1 huge green brittle star, turbo snails, narcassius snails and 1 sand sifter star will I be doing harm of overcrowding if I get a pair of wrasse? Corals are in the plan for the future also.

What kind of green brittle is it that you have? if its a serpant be careful they eat fish and of course your grouper will eventually as well and will get quit large.

IMG_0523.jpg

IMG_0478.jpg

here is my wrasse and I love him, very friendly

Considering that I have 3 pj cardinalfish, 1 Tomini tang, 1 Hippo tang, 1 percula clown, 1 panther grouper, 1 huge green brittle star, turbo snails, narcassius snails and 1 sand sifter star will I be doing harm of overcrowding if I get a pair of wrasse? Corals are in the plan for the future also.
FYI, that panther grouper grows to 20" and the recommended minimun tank size is 300g. If you find your cardinals and clown missing, don't be suprised if the grouper ate them.

Leopard wrasses are not hard to keep IF they are eating frozen food. If you see one in a store, ask the storekeeper to feed it. If it eats, you should be good to go. That is the main challenge in keeping them -- finding one that eats. That wasn't a problem in my tank, since my tank is so large, but after about a year, my leopard wrasse learned to eat frozen food. Now he's as voracious as the rest of the fish.

As for eating crustaceans, I don't think that's true. I haven't read that about them, and I haven't experienced that with mine. Plus, their mouths are so small!

Hate to hear that Sniffles.
I'm assuming you didnt give him the no carpet surfing talk before adding him huh?

Don't forget Lubbocks Fairy Wraasses. They were my favorite until a power outage caused his early demise. I think this time I might go for a yellow coris wrasse.

Back