Reef Sun 50/50 light ... eh HELP!!!

zippyjr123

Reefing newb
Hello ... i was wondering if this REEF SUN 50/50 light is okay for right now... at least until i have a little more money to spend on a light ... I would like to start adding soft corals and clams real soon do you think this light will be okay until i can get a better one?!?... i have fish..live sand..fiji rock..shrimp..snails right now
any :twocents: would be helpful!!! thanks a bunch~

how many watts are the lights?

clams in general require very strong lighting, so if that is your goal you might want to look at Metal Halides. Hello Lighting has some nice retro kits at very reasonable prices.

Brandon

Please state the wattage. As mentioned above clams require very strong lighting such as halides. Check out the PFO retro kits at premium aquatics website. How big is your tank?

it is a*50/50 combination of 6500k trichromatic daylight phosphor and actinic 420 phosphor in the same lamp... its two 18" blubs 15 watts each.... i have a 55gal tank ... it says "Provides high intensity full spectrum illumination, strong in the short wavelenght blue region essential for photosynthetic corals.. and invertebrates, balanced with 6500K daylight for natural color enhancement and viewing pleasure.." but thing is ... i am new at this and really dont know if a 20$ each light is really going to do anything that i want to do ... yes i know i need a bigger and better light down the road but do you think this is alright for now*(to start adding some corals and inverts?)* thanks

your lighting is fine for fish but greatly under the required light for corals and not close enough for clams. you may get away with a softie right under the light high up in the tank but without at least 250 watts of lighting you may not be successful. save up and get a decent light setup. will be better to wait until you can provide adequate light. keep us posted.

what lighting should we use? there is a T5 nova that i was looking at, at a near by fish store. what do you think, for a 55gal?
thanks you very much for all your help!Please give some insight ...
Nova T5
*Powered by an advanced electronic ballast, the high output T5 lamps are driven to their maximum potential while ensuring long lamp life. The patented circuitry inside each ballast ensures consistent high performance and low energy consumption while meeting FCC standards with EMI protection and low THD. All components are the highest quality available, meeting ISO 9001 standards, and are potted to reduce thermal stress and increase ballast life expectancy. A German parabolic reflector increases light output up to 99%, while an integrated fan cools both ballast and lamps for efficient operation*

on your question bout the floruscents, The T-5's will work for you and is a decent system if you put enough of um over the tank and if the depth of the water collum does not exceed approx. 18". hope this helps.

Back