Reef Tanks with Only T5s.

drew00c

Reefing newb
Possible? Or is everyone still using some type of Halide light as well? The tank I am planning is going to be around 120 depending on what is available when i purchase it

It's very possible. I ran my 55 with T5s only, and I am currently running my 90 with T5s only. The problem you may run into with a 120 is the depth of the tank. T5s don't penetrate as well as MH, so you will be limited in what you can keep on the bottom of the tank. Also, you will probably have a hard time finding a T5 fixture that is that long. If you want to go with T5s only for a long tank like that, you will have better luck retrofitting the lights yourself. Reeffreak has a tank that size (I think) that he built his own T5 lights for.

Ill see whats around, the tank I am looking at is actually really long but also rather short. So if I can find a fixture long enough then maybe it will work :). I might also decide to go a little smaller as well. Do you enjoy your 90?

I love my 90. I had a 240 before it. Before that, a 55. Of course the 55 was too small, so when I was able to get the 240 and stand for $100 I nearly peed my pants! But the 240 turned out to be a nightmare. Expensive and time consuming to run and maintain, and no matter what I put in it, it still looked empty, like a tank full of rocks. I was so happy to get rid of it. The 90 is the perfect size for me. Manageable, and I can still keep lots of stuff.

It's easy to find lights for a 48" long tank (like a 75, 80 or 90). But once you get into the 6-foot range, lights become so much more expensive and your choices are a lot more limited. But the trade off is, there are lots of cool fish that can't be kept in a 48" tank.

This is true. As long as I can get a a decent number of fish and a nice coral selection going on then ill be happy as a pig in poop. The 90 will be much more manable I had a 200 gallon frontosa tank and this was a nightmare, I can only imagine what marine would be like lol. Any recomendations on light suppliers?

biff and I both have nova extreme pros and are very happy with them.

some love current fixtures. but i believe most people build their own from retrofit kits to just parts they buy individually. its about how you want it to look, what you want to keep, and how big your pocket is.

Im thinking about these novas and going with a 90 instead. We will see how much I can resist a bigger tank when me and the lady go for the purchase

there is a difference between nova extreme and nova extreme pros.

make sure you get the individual reflectors. this makes a HUGE difference

Cool, ill have a look online as the LFS near me charges out the ass for lights. I found 48 inch nova ex pros for 300+ rather then the 500+ the lfs charges. Now If only I could find a great site for fish and corals that ships to or is in Canada id be set!

anything can under under t5's, i have aquactinics tx5 on 75 gallon with clams and anenomes, 72" nova pro on my 125 gallon, both tanks are mostly softies and have clams and anenomes.

my buddies old tank was 58 gallon sps and lps tank with t5's only
CIMG0483.jpg

my 125 with nova extreme pro with geisemann bulbs
DSC01698.jpg

my 75 gallon with aquactinics tx5 fixture
DSC01682.jpg

Don't let everyone completely talk you out of the MHs. MHs do make that cool ripply effect that T5s can't ;) But you can grow pretty much anything under a T5 that you can grow under a MH.

Don't let everyone completely talk you out of the MHs. MHs do make that cool ripply effect that T5s can't ;) But you can grow pretty much anything under a T5 that you can grow under a MH.

For much less the cost and power usage :D!

I don't know where Biff thought I retrofitted T5 lights.I did have a 72'' Aquactinics Constellation over my 210 gallons.

Exactly what is the dimensions on this 120 Drew?

To be honest reef I have not even purchased the tank yet. I am just doing primary research to get price points and the best items I can for my buck.:) Its either going to be 120 but Im thinking to go with a 90 as I have already combined 310 gallons of tanks in my life. So I think for my first tank in 2 years a 90 would do just fine :) Standard dimension I would assume

To be honest I went with MHs because the salesman showed me the ultra cool ripply effect. If I had to do it over again I would go T5s. Especially since I now have a skylight in my tank room that gives me the ripply effect for free.

Those lights DC posted would be good for any and every coral you ever decided to put in your tank

Back