reef wall building

cfortin

Reefing newb
I just got a new 90 gal. bow front and I am at the stage of building up my rock wall. I have heard about using pvc to do the aquascaping and getting the LR off the sand. I want to find out how to build these rock towers and have found the internet to not be useful thus far. If anyone can help, let me know- Thanks.
Chad

I've seen where hobbiest have built frames out of PVC to get their rock up.But not sure about using it to build a wall.
I've found that aqua-scaping is like working a jigsaw puzzle(which I flat out give up on).You have to play around with the pieces you have to figure out how they fit the best.

I also haven't heard of using PVC to build a wall. I know that a lot of people drill holes in the live rock and secure them together with plastic cable ties.

I built a rectangle frame out of 1/2 pvc. then I used a "tee" in four corners to make legs about 4 inches tall. what I didn't do, but recomend doing, is adding a eggcrate floor to the rack to hold the rocks a little better. I love using the rack for several reasons. It take less rock to make the tank look full, and it's easy to make lots of caves for the fish to swim through.

Iguess I didnt explain right. I want to keep the rocks off the sand and also have the ability to make caves. What I have heard about is some sort of PVC "scaffolding" with egg crate to accomplish this. I have seen kits online for making these but cant find it anymore. If there is any more imput I would appreciate it. Thank u for all that have replied.
Chad

Back