Reeffreak - here is some inspiration

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I went to my LFS and he had put a school of Bartlett's Anthias in his display tank. Here are some pics of his tank that he has been running for about 3 months. Hope this gives you some ideas for your tank...Check out the BTA, now that is an anemone!!!

P9280006.jpg

P9280007.jpg

P9280011.jpg

P9280010.jpg

P9280008.jpg

-Dr Marco

Last edited:
My eyes are going in all directions.I want them Bartlett's now,thanks for the pics.

I now realize my rock placement sucks.You figure with 210g tank,I could get a double island but nooooooooooo!I love the rics the best.

Is that a 210 gal also?
How many fish you think he has in there?

he has four anthias, four tangs, a flame angel, a goby and some other random wrasse. It is also a 210, which is why I thought of your reef, give you an idea of what to do.

-Dr Marco :sfish:

I'm going to add 12 starburst anthias and 24 barletts to my 850 someday. they are super sensitive fish that need lots of feedings, so I'm going to let my tank sit awhile longer without them... they are wonderful that all big tanks need.

I plan to add four Bartlett's Anthias to my 90 gallon reef. My wife really likes them

I have a difficult time lifting up their tails to figure out which one is male. I know I should only have one male, but I am not sure how to judge.

Winy/Doc-you two are getting me confused here.Doc didn't you not recommend the Bartletts.Four of them was my original plan,six will limit what other fish I might want to add later.Damn,I liking them Square Box ones too.

I have always liked Bartlett's Anthias. They get about 4 inches long. They are not very aggressive. I recommend them for community tanks. Tangs are so aggressive that the Bartletts tend to not get enough to eat. My 90 gallon will not have tangs (too small) so I will get a school of Bartlett's Anthias. If you are going to have tangs, I recommend Bicolors because they are more aggressive, get bigger (5 inches) and you need less of them to have an effective school (just 3 as opposed to 6 of the Christmas Anthias). I hope that clears up the confusion of my recommendation to you, Reef.

avoid the square spot anthias they are very hard to keep.

anthias can change sex like a clowns and some angels so if you buy 3 females one will turn into a male, one will turn into the alfa female "probably wrong word" and the other will stay full female, the males have the best color. if you feed cyclopeeze your anthias will get lots to eat because tangs tend to not eat it as much they want bigger pieces.

the only problem is that they need lots of food, often. Bicolors eat meaty fare and they can be feed less often, I have even seen them take pellets. Still, if you still want Bartlett's - go get 'em. They are so beautiful. Not sure what price you can find them there, but in Utah, they are about $30 a pop.

Okay let me get this straight,no Squarebox cause of there hardiness?Every website I visited has them listed as easy or intermediate.I'm not so sure on them after seeing there adult size...dang 8'' is big for anthais.

I don't mine feeding Bartletts multiple times a day.$30 would be great but the LFS wants $45.I need to make this order by Monday morning before they make there order.

Thanks Winy and Doc,Bartletts it is then.

Going with one male and three females....sounds good or should I up the female count to four.I really want to save room room for tangs and wrasses too.

Back