Reefkeeper Lite?

Djturna4thakidz

Reefing newb
I am going on a three week vacation at the end of the month and would like some peace of mind. I have not left the tank for any extended period of time since I started the tank, and with all the coral and livestock, I want them to make it. Anyway, I was looking at purchasing the reefkeeper lite (I dont have too much money to spend), it includes:

Lite Head Unit
PC4 Powerstrip
SL1 Input Module
SID USB interface
Temp Probe
pH Probe
mounting screws
I also would like to get the float kit for A.T.O

My question is, can this kit plus the float kit and a salinity probe do everything I want it to do.
I would like it to track temp, pH and salinity, control ATO, lights and pump. It would be cool but not required that it has ability to access the parameters over the internet. If you guys think this system would be ample for what I need it for and has the possibility to upgrade or mix and match accessaries, let me know. Any input is welcome!

So you have the RK lite? any comments/advise on the unit? I think I am going to get it. Sounds like everyone really likes it and it helps greatly. I got the JBJ ATO and it doesnt work as well as I would have liked, I have heard better things about the DA float system. Thanks so much for the help!

Ya, i have the RKL. The firmware for upgrading the pc4's and modules can be a bit buggy but that's the only issue. Otherwise it has worked out great and it's running my lights, heater, dosing pumps, etc. Things that don't need to be controlled are plugged into regular outlets. My ato is just an eshopps float valve ato gravity fed by my top off container.

I ordered an RKL recently after doing a ton of research on the controllers. I wont get to try it till I get home in about a month but Im crazy excited about it. I like it because the software and controls seemed to be the most polished of the entry level controllers. There is another brand that you actually have to enter freakin basic computer language into, to control the heat. I dont have time for that crap.

The RKL can control everything I have and then some. I would definitely order the one with two PC4 strips. I will use all eight outlets. It can only control what you can plug into it. If you get the NET module you can get alerts on your cell. Thats freakin awesome.

One feature Im excited about is its ability to turn a quiet sump fan on at one temp and then a noisier and bigger secondary fan on at a higher temp. A back up for warm days.
Theres also the wave maker control, stand by mode, and PH controller functions.

So what is the up side to this unit if all you get is an alarm that your tank is over heating if you can't have the ability to control it remotely?

Nothing really.
But what would you want to control remotely if you could?

If the tank gets too hot, i have the system set to shut the lights down, turn off the heater, etc. That should be set up as automatic.

There's no alk or calc probes so no way to know if my dosing pumps need to be shut down.

Trying to think of other things that might happen that would benefit from remote control...

If i did have it, an alert would have helped when i was on vacation and my house A/C system went down, causing the water to reach into the high 80's.
I could have sent someone to the house to check on it and figure out what's going on, and then i might not have had to return to an oven when i got home from vacation.

I was wondering, because when I initially started looking at controllers, I was told that the RK did not send out alerts but that they were working on getting that into the software updates.

Needless to say, I went with the Apex so that I can see the tank temp, Ph, and also control remotely anything that is plugged into the EB8. So if the temp rises, I can turn lights off, heater off, chiller on, shut down one return pump, etc all from my phone. If I had this installed last year, I would have been able to take care of the tank when I was in Tahoe, and the temp went up to 92 and took out a 80 head Frogspawn.

Ya, that's cool that you can do that remotely.

I'm just saying that you shouldn't have to. You can set the controller up to do all that automatically.

Back