Reef's 210g. Journal

Thanks Joey,

Here's the update of bulb choices.All I can say is WOW!Yote,Biff and everybody else with T5's...what a difference bulb choices can make.Of course,I don't have water yet but I believe it going to look great with these choices.I got them from the T5 guru(Grimm) on RC.

Front to Back(or left to right in the pics)

1)ATI Blue Plus
2)Sfiligoi Super Actinic(03)
3)UV Aquasun 10,000k***which BTW looks pink compared to the Nova's
4)ATI Blue Plus
5)GE 3000k Daylight
6)ATI Blue Plus
7)ATI Aquablu Special 12k

The second row is the same.

One switch(2 bulbs)Super Actinic,blue plus
P7301100.JPG

Second switch(2 more bulbs-Aquasun,3000k)
P7301103.JPG

Third switch(3 bulbs-12k,blue plus x 2)
P7301106.JPG

All the equipment is here...just waiting on some cash for sand,salt and live rock.Thanks again everyone.

You could drop acid or eat some shrooms and just stare at those lights in complete euphoria

Its a GE3000k bulb(more orange then yellow).It suppose to make reds,oranges on corals/fish to really pop.At least thats what the guru and reefgeek said.

i could see having blue actnics to bring out colors but the 10k bulbs help with coral growth i think all the other colors would only help bring out colors in tank but not help with coral growth and could end up with an algae outbreak cause of wrong spectrum of light. I could be wrong though but i would go with 3 actnic on each side and and 8 10k.

Finally someone has something objective to say!
I have 6 daylights(10k,12k,3000k) and 8 blues or actinics.Corals have zooanthellae(algae) in there tissue so any light thats good for coral is going to be good for nuisance algae too.Nutrient is a much larger factor for nuisance algae than lighting,IMO.

not trying to offend in any way but i've been around alot of different setups and never seen those color bulbs everyone use metal halides or pc's and the ones that use t5's use a 10k or 11k, and blue actnic. Not sure how lights will do until you have them up and running, don't get me wrong i would love to see the color they put out over your tank. Definitely can't wait to see full tank shot.

if i get that light fixture i want to do 8 11k, and 6 blue actnic, or maybe 10
11k and 4 actnic. Not sure but i've seen tanks with both bulb configuration that are growing sps like weeds and give a awesome color to tank.

Oh no Dfrench,I not offended at all.I glad that someone has a different opinion.You have to visit the T5 threat on Reef Central.The choices I made were for best SPS growth but also make the colors shine.The great thing with T5,you can cover alot of light spectrum with so many bulbs.Over on that thread most bulb configuration has at least 1 or 2 6500k or the new 3000k(that is if the fixture holds alot of bulbs).

The Grim on RC has comparison of different companies bulbs.Some 10k,11k,12k bulbs can vary.Some 11k can look almost pure white and others have a blue tint to them.Some 12k can look blue and others look pink(like mine,which I like).I think some call it Fiji pink or something.I've been researching the last several months,spending $300 for bulbs sucks if there not what your looking for.I know my choices will look good but only time will tell how well they really do.

Last edited:
i think hangging kits makes it looks more sophisticated, modern..its gonna looks awsome..im moving to your house freak..post pics soon bud..

Back