Refinishing Stand and Stand positioning

Dakwan

Reefing newb
I've asked this already in one of my other threads but thought i'd make a dedicated thread for it in the appropriate section

I'm getting a used stand and am thinking i want to refinish it, the problem is that i'll have fish that need to be located somewhere. I'm moving the tank and don't think trying to refinish it during the move will make things go any smoother :mrgreen:

my options are the following i think

1. Move everything into my place, set up the tank and refinish at my leisure. I'm not sure of the risk of poisoning my tank because while i don't think i'd splash any stain or varnish into the tank because i'd obviously do the canopy else where, i'm still concerned about air polution and fumes and so forth.

2. When i move everything Don't set up the display tank and keep the fish in the quarantine tank. My concern here is that the QT is only 30 gallons and there are about 7 fish including 2 tangs and a wrasse and i don't want them to stay stressed from moving by leaving them in a little tank all packed .

3. Have all the fish seperated in big rubbermaid container while i refinish. The big bins are still only like 20 gallons but would it be easier on the fish to be seperated? I'd also need to ensure i have enough heaters and power heads for each bin. I wouldn't have any filtration at all so i'd need to be fairly quick.

Basically i am way too excited for my new tank and am obsessing about any detail i can :^:

Also i'm thinking of setting up the tank as a sort of wall between the living and dining rooms. So it would be viewable from both long side and 1 short side. It has dual corner overflow . Does any one find its a pain having to spread the livestock around so it looks good from all sides? Does it look silly being able to see an overflow from the back? do you find the corals don't pop as nicely with not having a black back drop?
The stand only has doors on one side so do you think it would look silly from one side?

work is slow and i'm obsessing :mrgreen:
thanks for putting up with me !!

I think your concerns about the vapors are valid -- I have heard stories about paint fumes crashing tanks. It's never happened to me, but I've never painted that close to my tanks.

I would go with Option #3. The fish wouldn't have to be in containers for too long. Maybe a day or two?

yup a day, 2 probably at the most.

so maybe stick the smaller tang and a couple chromis in one and then split up the wrasse and other chromis in one container and the bigger tang in his own container.

is say 24-36 hours a short enough period for no filtration? I assume it would be silly to feed them until the tank is set up and i'm sure to not have so the only thing that would create ammonia would be the :pooh: right?

I dont know about the fish...but my brother and I were actually talking about setting a tank up as a "divider" between two rooms just as you stated and how cool that would be. I would love to do it with mine, I just dont have a spot that it would work at. I dont think it would be too bad seeing the side without doors and everything. Just finish it so it looks nice, and maybe put that part towards the room you will use a little less...Or have the side with the doors towards the room that guests will walk into first so that is the first part they see. But I dont think it will look bad at all. I love the idea!

If you go with the rubbermaid option, you can buy one of those really long ones - they are about 4 feet long (I think they are actually made for xmas tree storage) I have one (it's got my xmas tree in it - lol)
That would save you worrying about extra heaters & such and you wouldnt have to split up the fish if you dont want to. When you're done, you can store your xmas tree in it! lol

What you're talking about is typically called a penninsula display and I personally think it would look kind of rediculous with the backs of the overflows showing.

I really wish tank manufacturers would start giving you an option between corner, back, and side-drilled overflows.

Back