refinishing stand

steelcity

Reefing newb
Was given a pine stand for my 55. it's not in terrible shape but it could use some help. Thinking about sanding it down, painting it, and putting on new hardware. Will paint it black with silver hinges and knobs.

Any tips for this? What paint works the best for this? Brush it on or use a small roller?

Also thinking about painting the back of the tank blue. What paint do I use and how do I go about doing that?

Thanks.

well, a roller will go faster, or at least thats been my experience.

As for painting the back glass, i would use a latex paint, so that way if you wanna remove it, its super easy...

Spray paint is the easiest and cheapest way to paint the back of your tank. But like project said, you need to decide if you're ever going to want to remove it or not.

For painting your stand a brush will give you a better look in the end and also provide better coverage. Biff has the best advice for the back of your tank. Spray paint.

I would say a latex paint to help make it some what splash proof. I don't the paint really matter that much though.

I used a latex base coat, elemers glue and a flat ceiling paint to do mine and I have had no problems.

spray paint would be easier, as far as application goes, but i would worrie about the overspray getting on the inside of the tank.

you mean actually take the time to prep and do the job right the first time? i thought half of the point of this whole hobby was to be constantly re-doing what you have already done 6 times...

crap, i quit. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Tape it off and cover it up!

you mean actually take the time to prep and do the job right the first time? i thought half of the point of this whole hobby was to be constantly re-doing what you have already done 6 times...

crap, i quit. :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

That is why God invented paint remover and razor blades:mrgreen::mrgreen:
Plus there is plenty in this hobby to screw up and do over it'll keep you busy for years!!!!

Back