Refractometer Question

2XAl

Salt Addict
Hi All,
I was given a refractometer as a gift but it measures in % salt content. I am obviously more familiar with SG or salinity. I was able to find what I believe to be the answer to my question here in the form of a table:

Specific gravity

Would you guys be comfortable using that table in place of a regular swing hydrometer? I am hesitant because if I am off by .2% it looks like that can effect SG a lot.

Thoughts? returning it isn't an option and my fallback is a swing hydrometer that produces somewhat reliable results.

Thanks in advance.

Measuring with a refractometer can be more accurate than using a swing hydrometer. Once you measure in specific gravity you'll see it's easier than measuring salility since you can get more precise readings.
Hope this helps, at our facility we use refractometers.

yes most def. throw the hydro in t he garage. refractometer is the first piece of equipment i bought when starting. i've read a lot of storys of the hydro being off by 2 or more point. so i spend the $45 and bought it. make sure you caliberation it and keep it 1.024-1.025.

I think you guys missed the point. The refractometer reads % salt content. NOT specific gravity.

IMO, that chart would be off. That chart is for NaCl which is table salt. We are using a salt mix that contains a lot more than that. It will most likely get you in the ball park, but would still be off.

I think you should get a refractometer that has the specific gravity calibrations on it.

I think you guys missed the point. The refractometer reads % salt content. NOT specific gravity.

IMO, that chart would be off. That chart is for NaCl which is table salt. We are using a salt mix that contains a lot more than that. It will most likely get you in the ball park, but would still be off.

I think you should get a refractometer that has the specific gravity calibrations on it.

Yeah that's what I was getting at. Thanks for the help and quick answers though all.

I'm guessing the type of refractometer that was given to you was made for something else - any idea what? The only other type of refractometer I've heard of is one used in wine making that measures sugar content....

I would do a bit of testing with it before tossing it. The refractometer I have shows both scales....

Back