Refractometer questions...

baeya

Aquarium Addict
I just got my refractometer in the mail and I have some questions.

It says to use distilled water to calibrate. Can I use RO/DI water?

I did buy the Salinity Calibration Fluid but, I think that is water with a specific salinity to make sure the meter is working correctly. Is that right? I don't use that to calibrate the refractometer......

Look at the calibration fluid. Mine says "calibrate to 35 ppt" or something like that. So use it as directed.

However, you should be able to calibrate RO/DI water.. as it should read 0.

I've heard using the calibration fluid is more accurate though.

That is a great feeling. When I got my RODI unit, I even posted a picture of it I was so excited! :D The calibration solution is more accurate than using distilled water because it is closer to what we are actually trying to measure in our tanks. And make sure you calibrate it every month or so. Mine was a few points off last time I did. Have fun!!
Congrats!

LOL!! I text my friend that I made RO/DI water....he thought I was nuts!
I felt like some kind of a scientist using it. Gee, I may get some more funky test kits like a PH one.....

LOL!! I text my friend that I made RO/DI water....he thought I was nuts!
I felt like some kind of a scientist using it. Gee, I may get some more funky test kits like a PH one.....

I share your excitement!! ... I got excited on another thread.. because I just branched off my RODI after the pre-filters and added a second RO and DI canisters to ATO my change water tank. .... like you say, this is way cool.. is much better than hauling water through the house. ..
......... if you do this some day .. .. you CAN NOT tee the waste water lines together.. they need separate lines to the drain pipe or they will back-up on each other if only one is running.. unless you put in check valves... I ran separate waste lines to be darned sure! That would be some bad stuff... backed up into your RO.

LOL!! I just saw your thread and posted on it!! Too funny! I breed freshwater angelfish and have about 1000g going but, I've never used RO/DI water before. Some people that have wild caught angelfish have to use it so their PH stays low.

I just got my refractometer in the mail and I have some questions.

It says to use distilled water to calibrate. Can I use RO/DI water?

I did buy the Salinity Calibration Fluid but, I think that is water with a specific salinity to make sure the meter is working correctly. Is that right? I don't use that to calibrate the refractometer......

I did this.. (so drop what you are doing and run to it..LOL)

I checked it to the calibration fluid, cleaned it and used my .000 RODI water to check it again. Not to check the calibration fluid or the refractometer but to know in the future if I can use my RODI water, and at what actual reading I should use it for calibration as a reference if the need comes up.

Last edited:
Back