Refugium/Have you ever seen this?

PRC

Stop Quoting Me!
I'm not going to draw it out because I don't have the skills, but has anyone ever tried to do this?

Picture a refugium from left to right. 3 chambers

1. Overflow
2. Rock
3. Return

Typically, you build the baffles between the rock and the return pump sections to prevent microbubbles.

What if you built another microbubble wall between the overflow and the rock. But you force the water to come into the 2nd chamber at the bottom of the tank. Then you build a platform to hold the rock in the middle of the tank. about 2" off the bottom of the tank.

In the platform you drill a bunch of holes from left to right that would progressively get bigger.. (the holes on the left of the platform would be too small to let all the water through so it would have to pass to the next holes) this way the water would go through the microbubble baffle, be forced into the 2nd chamber at the bottom of the tank, and then forced through the holes in the platform which would in turn force it to pass vertically through the rockpile in the middle of the fuge.

Do you think this would be worthwhile? Currently, I feel like the water is just passing by my liverock in the refugium..

Does this make sense when you read it? If not, I'll be forced to draw a picture.

Curious if this would be beneficial, seems like a pretty easy adjustment to make.

Sound slike a lot of work compared to what I had success with (intake --> return <-- fuge). But who knows...might work well for you.

The live rock is to house all your bacteria. If you got a bunch of rubble with water flowing by it's doin it's job. I don't have any LR in my sump. In a few days I should have a big blob of cheato though. Here is a pic of my sump set up. The way the water enters the fuge area at the top and exits at the top keeps it as a sorta lower flow in the bottom where the sand is. The sponge is mainly a bubble and algae trap. I do all the skimming in the last compartment with the return pump.

Attachments

• sump.jpg
    sump.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 1,269
I'm not going to draw it out because I don't have the skills, but has anyone ever tried to do this?

1. Overflow
2. Rock
3. Return

Typically, you build the baffles between the rock and the return pump sections to prevent microbubbles.

What if you built another microbubble wall between the overflow and the rock. But you force the water to come into the 2nd chamber at the bottom of the tank. Then you build a platform to hold the rock in the middle of the tank. about 2" off the bottom of the tank.

In the platform you drill a bunch of holes from left to right that would progressively get bigger.. (the holes on the left of the platform would be too small to let all the water through so it would have to pass to the next holes) this way the water would go through the microbubble baffle, be forced into the 2nd chamber at the bottom of the tank, and then forced through the holes in the platform which would in turn force it to pass vertically through the rockpile in the middle of the fuge.

Do you think this would be worthwhile? Currently, I feel like the water is just passing by my liverock in the refugium..

Does this make sense when you read it? If not, I'll be forced to draw a picture.

Curious if this would be beneficial, seems like a pretty easy adjustment to make.

Like this?

If this is close, but needs to be tweaked......
Save it as a JPG image on your desktop
Open microsoft paint
File
Open
On the left side click desktop
Find the pic and open it in Paint

To draw lines:
on the left side there is a diagonal line like this \
Click it and then go down and select a thicker line.
Click on the right color
Use this to draw straight lines

You can EDIT and UNDO the last 3 lines or moves.

To draw boxes or circles:
click on the box or circle icon
click the color
left click and hold it down. Drag out a box or circle.
Let go of left click when it's big enough

To color boxes or circles:
click the little icon that looks like a bucket of pain that is spilling over
select the right color
put the pain bucket inside your circle
click once

Don't forget - you can EDIT and UNDO up to 3 moves back from where you are now.

Alright, let's see the revised version. :Cheers:

Attachments

• PRCSump.jpg
    PRCSump.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 457
This is what I was thinking..Does it make sense? It's an easy build, a piece of acrylic for the platform, drill some holes. brace it to the bottom of the tank with strips of acrylic. This way the water if forced to move through the rock rather than over it.

Attachments

• Refuge.pdf
    64.2 KB · Views: 350
This is what I was thinking..Does it make sense? It's an easy build, a piece of acrylic for the platform, drill some holes. brace it to the bottom of the tank with strips of acrylic. This way the water if forced to move through the rock rather than over it.

sure that would most definitly work. I'm not sure it would be worth it but arent we all prone to go overbored for that little bit extra. Plus it's just cool to have one like nobody elses.

LOL RC I see your drawing challenged like me. I like the um interesting shape and color of the "rock"

1. Overflow
2. Rock
3. Return

thats kinda how mine is set upthe water comes in on the right there is a baffle than rock and sand in the middle and then three baffles and the returne pump and ato

Back