Refugium "Kit"

jb61264

Reefing newb
Any opinions on the refugium "kits" that you can pick up on ebay for $39?...I think I'm resigning myself to not use the wet/dry from my previous system (13 years ago) and go with a 10 gallon aquarium (that I can pick up at a LFS for cheap) and use the "kit" that they provide to create a baffle system for a refugium.

I happen to have a standard 10 gallon aquarium light that I'm thinking I could hang from the inside of my stand to provide light to the macroalgae

Here's a link to what I'm looking at:
PRO REFUGIUM KIT - eBay (item 350012394441 end time Jan-11-08 15:43:18 PST)

Would appreciate any comments...

For $40 dollars why not.It looks like it comes with the skimmer.Probably not very good one but it has to better than no skimmer.

For $40 dollars why not.It looks like it comes with the skimmer.Probably not very good one but it has to better than no skimmer.

I have a hang on skimmer that I'll be using as well so I guess two skimmers can't be bad :) I fiddled around my with my previous wet/dry and thought about how I could do more of a refugium rather than wet/dry and it just isn't coming to me that it will work and from all the reading I've been doing, a refugium is the way to go.

i bought a 30" long hang on refugium from there good buy received it quick also most of his stuff comes in pieces so you have to put it together but comes with everything you need.

Click on view larger picture and another window will open showing what is included and also listing in text what is provided. No tank, skimmer, light, or pump etc. but it does come with two bulkheads and baffles at a price cheaper than any other on line site I have ever seen. Typically, just the 1" bulkheads are about $8 each at Marine Depot or Drs. Foster and Smith, maybe $6 each at Home Depot or Lowe's. That means $30 dollars for a little plastic and a little MEK for welding plastic. The Kit, a cheap Walmart tank, some silicone caulking, a pump, a few fittings and pipe, or vinyl tubing, would not set anyone back very much. You could put it together cheaper, but thats if you want to spend the time. However there $39 dollar kit does not offer a lot of flexibility as to width and height of tank used. I personally love putting things together, the planning, drawing, searching for materials, cutting and fastening, so I personally would pass. But, I also have/or have access to a lot of tools.

Back