Refugium Lighting & Reef Testing Supplies?

FishyReef

Broke Reefer!
Getting ready to put in another order and wanted to get some opinions! I've decided to set up a 10g refugium separate from my sump (sump will include my skimmer, and skimmer out-flow will go to my refugium which will house the return pump). I've been looking at lighting options for the refugium and am thinking of going with the JBJ nano led refugium light that attached magnetically to the back of the tank. Anyone have this light for their refugium? Any other recommendations? I'd kind of like to stick with LEDs to control heat and energy useage (my tank is at work and I don't think high-energy consuming lights would go over so well, or any lights that could be potential fire hazards, esp since it will be housed in the enclosed stand!)

Totally separate question, what reef specific tests do you recommend getting? Not brand per se, but the actual type of test - calcium, magnesium, stronium, borate, etc. There are so many out there and I just don't know what I actually *need* to test for regularly - gotta reign in the spending on this tank so I can actually afford livestock!

Thanks everyone! (hopefully I'll be starting my build thread with pics this weekend :D)

Well, I went ahead and placed my order (wanted to do so before the end of the day). My AI Sol lights are now on their way, along with the JBJ Nano LED light for my refugium, a calcium testing kit, and a multi-testing kit that includes magnesium, carbonate, borate, and alk. Please let me know if I need any other type of tests!! (already have all the basic ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, etc)

Thanks! (and taking deep breaths over the $$ I just spent)

The basic tests that everyone should have are pH, alkalinity, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Add in calcium if you have corals. Phosphate tests aren't very accurate, and many people use magnesium tests for reef tanks. The rests are optional, IMO, unless you are dosing specific things that you need to test for.

Back