Refugium Lighting

Fishboy

Reefing newb
What type of light should i put on my refugium that is cheap. Some people have told me to get a clamp light from home depot and put a flood light daylight bulb, or something like that, in it. What should i use.

There is no need at all to buy an expensive "fuge" light. Go to any hardware store, get a clamp light and use a low wattage CFL bulb. Make sure the bulb temp is no higher than 6000k so you have more of the yellow/orange/red light spectrum. Here's a pic of my setup.

Picture086-1.jpg

Not to bring up a dead post but what wattage cf bulb are we talking. I been reading 40+ watts and here everyone says low wattage?

what exactly is a cfl bulb? I was at home depot and couldn't find anything. Maybe I was over looking them. Right now I have an energy saver mercury bulb in my sump and its growing coraline. I know this is not right what so ever and plan to change it.

I believe the CFL is a compact flourcenet lighting bulb. It is the squigly looking bulb. That is rated like 14 watts but is equivalnt to a 60 watt incadecent (regular) lightbulb.

Also does the light have to be over top my refugium or can it be on the side of it shining through the glass. The reason I ask this is because I do not have much room above my refugium

Ok I am back from lowes and home depot and here is what I came up with.
Oh and let me say I love the way my stand looks, but I am really hating the fact that it has two drawers in it! it really limits my space under the stand. But my question is..
Is this ok for the light to shine through the glass because there is no way I can fit it so that the light is over top of the refugium. I bought the 23 Watt Soft White CFL bulbs and a timer for it.
IMG_0485.jpg

So will that work for me? It really is my only option that I can see :(

Back