Refugium Meeting Please!

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok I have removed the 1.5 inch sand/crushed coral bed from the refugium.

I am going to have rock and cheeto only.

So here are my questions.

Will having a very small amount of sand dust left in the bottom matter? I just cant pick it up and would rather not vac it out. I think the bottom is about 85% clear.

Any ideas on how to get the sand into the main tank?

When people say rubble do they mean chips. I attached a pic of the rock that was in there. Too much too little?

Just give me all the info you have!!!!

Attachments

• Fuge Rock.jpg
    Fuge Rock.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 241
The sand at the bottom isn't going to be a big deal as long as it isn't getting stirred up and sent back into the diaply making the water murky.

Rubble rock is small pieces of rock...Duh...

They're generally the size of your fist or even smaller...Reason why people use rubble rock is that it's cheap..it's essentially Live rock scraps...You jut put a nice pile of then in the sump. You put enough in so the water doesn't have a choice but to flow through it.

So then can I use the big piece I posted of should I break it up.

Either way I don't care. I would make a nice piece in the tank.

I may try to syphon the sand a little but it is on the floor so a syphon may not work. Ugh I don't want to vac but I do have fresh saltwater right here about 21 gallons so....

Cool I ended up putting the sand in a ziplock storage bag and lowering it down and letting it out.

It ended up making a great change to my floor with the way it came out like a ramp between the rocks. I love it.

Attachments

• ramp.jpg
    ramp.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 220
Ok so I placed my Skimmer Pump in the middle chamber and ran all the pipes.

So I am hoping the skimmer level stays constant now instead of going up and down depending on how much water is in the 3rd chamber.

I put one big rock in there instead of rubble. I have my cheeto in the 3rd chamber for now until I can get a hanging basket. I don't want the cheeto getting sucked into the skimmer.

So this is how my Proflex Model 2 Sump is now.

Chamber One - Socks

Chamber 2 - One big rock, Cheeto, Skimmer Pump with Coralife Refugium light for light. It is a nice little light with a small T5s(white and blue)

Chamber 3 - Return Pump

I had to use clear tubing to connect to the 1/2 PVC so I hope I don't get a ton of algae growing in the tubing. I can't find black tubing that size. I was going to pput electrical tape but it is under water. It is about 6 inches of tubing.

I wish I could just put the whole skimmer in the second chamber but I have that Coralife Fuge light and Cheeto. I wish I knew if having the one large rock and cheeto is going to make any difference at all in my tank anyway.

I almost feel like if it was the chamber was at least 15 gallons it would matter but Aqueon says it is for a fuge.

Back