Refugium set up????

rick

Reefing newb
:question: I bought a refugium kit from Aquauniverse - 24x10x12" high glass tank, (2) pumps (about 800 gph each at 0 head), lights, protein skimmer, bioballs ......it is rate for a 150g. This refug will be stowed under a 80g, mostly reef tank.

The system came with not much of instruction on set up and nothing on their website, www.aquauniverse.com, other than a picture of items included with the system. This whole system cost $200 - seems reasonable.

The refugium tank has (3) compartments, one to the right is the smallest, and the picture on the web shows the Protein skimmer on the left compartment. I don't have the head room to put the protein skimmer in the refugium as shown on the website - it will have to be mounted outside the refugium tank.

The way I am picturing the whole set up is - over flow from the main tank goes into the left compartment, pump A circulates water from the LC through the Protein skimmer and back into LC, and pump B pumps from LC to main tank.

Then, I will need to move some water accross the center compartment by either adding another pump or divert part of water from the protein skimmer return water into the right compartment. Based on what I read on L/R helpful articles, the water flow in the refugium (accross center compartment) should not be too great - 1 tank change over per hour.

Possibly add a 9W UV in the return line from PS to Left compartment.

Where do I put the bioballs?

I'm planning on adding a rotating power head in the main tank - Power Sweep Model 228 (270 g). This will be the only item that will be visiable in the main reef tank.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Rick

Back