refugium setup water depth

salt01

Reefing newb
ok yall got a question. I am looking to buy a tank and make a refugium out of it. I already have one that i have modified ( the store bought one ) but it wasnt built for refuge just filter skimmer and return pump. Anyways how much water should be above my dsb with cheato on top of it? Looking at a 36" long tank but its only 12" high and cant fit an 18" high tank below my display. Scared to have only 2 inches of play before overflow eeek. my current sump is 16" high and 28 inch long. I have a dsb in display do i need one in refugium? or can i get a way with like 3 inches. idk what to do. all advice would be great.

Over all looking to extend my sump longer than 28" because out of room and would like to have a more area pre and post refugium and have a longer refugium to catch detritis and better breeding ground for critters . I wish they made a tank that was 36L x 12d x 16h maybe a 30 gallon long? cant seem to find any though

Last edited:
From what I have read, most stay away from DSB's in the fuge. If you want sand in your fuge, stick with an inch or two. that will give you more room for live rock and chaeto. I just built a new sump and am only using live rock and chaeto in my fuge section.

I had the same problem trying to find the right size tank. I ended up with a 20 gallon long, and it is sufficient for now. Your other option is to buy an acrylic prebuilt sump the size you need....kinda pricey though.

Back