Refugium Size

drm180

Reefing newb
I want to put a refugium in my stand. I have a 25 gallon tank so would a 5 gallon tank refugium be okay? I think I'm going to use to to grow pods and keep some macro algae in it. I was inititally going to use a 10 gallon but it won't fit in the door of my stand. Also, does anyone have some simple information of how to plumb it?

Generally you want as big a refugium that you can get, if 5 gal is your limit then i suppose its better than nothing. You may want to look into a hang on back if possible.

Why not just head to the hardware store or Walmart and look for a plastic tub or container instead? That's what I made my sump and fuge out of.

Oh wow. That's a really good idea. I think I will do that. Now, how do I get the water from the display to the fuge? Do I have to have an overflow box?

Allright. What kind of return pump do I need? I think I'm good up to that point. I'm not sure what I need to get the water back up.

I like both the Eheim and Magdrive pumps. You want to get something rated near your overflow box, but slightly higher to compensate for head loss. And be sure to put a ball valve on the return line so you can adjust it as needed. The Eheims are quite a bit more expensive. Other people have said good things about Tunze and Quiet One pumps as well, but I have no firsthand experiences with them.

Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Aquarium Water Pump/Powerhead

Eheim Universal ?Hobby? Submersible Water Pump

Rios are good, basic cheap pumps. But they don't seem to last as long as the Magdrives or Eheims. That said, I've been using the same Rio HF pump for about 10 years now...

http://www.marinedepot.com/powerheads_pumps_taam_rio-ap.html

Last edited:
I think I need a Mag-Drive 5 which is 500gph. From the top of my tank to the bottom of where the fuge will be is 34". On the chart on the link that Biff gave me it says at 3' the number five runs 380 gph. Is this right?

I'm not sure that I have room for a hang on one. My tanks dimensions are
24 x 12.5 x 18.75. I only have about 3 inches of clearance between the tank and the wall behind it. It would be a lot easier to buy a hang on though. Do you have any suggestion for one that might fit?

Either way you go HOB or a overflow box you need to move that aquarium farther away from the wall. 3 inches is not enought also makes cleaning harder.

Back