Refugium/Sump Set Up and More?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I have discussed this many time with many people here and of course I always get great feedback but I have a little bit more to write before my final setup which is fast approaching on the weekend of January 22nd.

To anyone who has done this the first time you probably know just how excited and nervous it can be. For those who have experience please hold the it is easier than you thinks because while that can be true to some extent it doesn't make my personal experience feel any less crazy but I do thank you for the kind words for sure.

So just to catch anyone who hasn't read anything I have posted here is where I currently sit.

80Gal Bowfront filled up with saltwater. I have yet to check it with my refractometer to make sure it is within the right settings but I will do that this weekend and again prior to rock placements.

Before I begin with this I want to mention that I will be numbering my sections so you can reply by numbering your reply to keep things easy to read.

1) I am using the Proflex Sump with a refugium in the center and putting my skimmer in the third chambe with the return pump. Now the way it is set up the return for the skimmer drops the water back down into the section containing the blue sponge bubble diffuser so you don't have to use the one that comes with the skimmer. I may still use it and cut it down to eliminate any chance of splashing.

If you go on you tube there is someone with their Proflex sump connected and they are talking about the first section and how the water can sit in there and you can get detritus(sp) and at about 6:38 listen to what he suggests or says [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWaoAOnf3mM&feature=fvsr]YouTube - Aqueon ProFlex Sump Refugium Review pt. 2[/ame] I am just wondering if adding the sand and crew in here in worth the trouble and if using the powerhead is a good idea. I would use a really weak one at best.

2) I am going to place the rock and sand in my refugium as I cycle my live rock from Tampabay Saltwater. Should I purchase some different type of substrate just for my refugium or will using the sand they sell for that be ok.

They sell the crushed shells and stuff right off the sea floor but I keep reading about miracle mud and this and that.

Should I not place my cheeto in there right off the bat?

What percentage of my cleaning crew should I put in the refugium? 10 crabs and 5 snails?

3) I currently own only the test kit with the 5 major tests. Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH and Akalinity. Beside this test kit I have been told to get a phosphate and calcium test. Say I get those as well I have been seeing a ton of different types of things you can add to the water for different common outbreaks and so on.

What do I really need or what should I buy that I will surely need down the road even before I get fish.

4) This guy said he got his light for his refugium from Light of America. $30 for a nice light that fits on there perfect. Anyone know where they sell this brand beside their site. I like how it looks like it was made for it.

5) I have a 4 Bulb 48" light. I see they have so many different bulbs out there. Can I just get one of each color or is it better to stick to the normal Blue and White everyone uses.

I don't mean get a red one for plants I don't have but like a 6500K a 10000K and the other Actinic.

Thanks to all

Back