Refugium/Sump setups

Epos

Reefing newb
I had some recent financial setbacks but I am finally up to the point I was at when I first joined the site, that is, 1 paycheck away from purchasing my light fixture for my 26-gallon bowfront. I am looking to use a 30-gallon tank for a refugium/sump. I know that I don't really need a refugium but the tank is just sitting around and I would like to get experience building and maintaining a sump outside of my work. I would like to combine a wet-dry filter with refugium. I was wondering if people could give me some ideas on a design and what stock I should put in the refugium. All help is greatly appreciated.

Bout time you got back on here:D
I'll get some pics of how I set mine up,once the camera battery charges back up.But its like I was telling you at the store this evening.Just an egg crete shelf/stand to hold a piece of filter media,with the drip pipe laying on top.Dont use any bio-balls,there just added work.

I made my own sump/furg by dividing it into three sections. The first section is where the water enters the sump. I made a small area for media out of egg crate and used pvc to hold it in place plus a piece of plexi glass for the side. Also my protein skimmer is in this section. Then I but a bubble trap. After that is the refugium which consist of dsb,cheto,and LR rubble. The last section is for the return pump.

this is how i did my 10g

Attachments

• sump pic.jpg
    sump pic.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 29,078
Thanks for the help...I've had this 30 gallon sitting around for a few years since i'm only allowed to have 3 tanks up at a time...figured this doesn't technically count as an aquarium...just an "Aquarium Enhancer".

Back