Refugium Sump

Mbowens5

Reefing newb
Basic Info- 135 gallon tank has two overflow boxes and has been drilled for two water outtakes and two intakes, 55 gallon tank to be used for a sump, this is going to be a primarily coral tank.

Few questions

If I have a heater in my sump do I still need one in my tank? Or do I need one for both?

What kind of light should I keep over my sump/refugium?

How much sand and live rock are needed for my refugium? What else should I keep in there?

What is your opinion of bioballs? Heard a lot both ways. If don't like them please let me know what you prefer.

Do I need a protein skimmer if I have a refugium in my sump? If I do need a protein skimmer or if it just doesn't hurt to have one which section of the sump should I put it in (water in or water out)?

I've heard issues about overflowing problems if the power goes out. How does this happen and what can I do to prevent it. Or will the overflow boxes in my 135 tank prevent that from happening?

Okay so maybe a lot of questions:D and I'll probably have more. If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance

basic info- 135 gallon tank has two overflow boxes and has been drilled for two water outtakes and two intakes, 55 gallon tank to be used for a sump, this is going to be a primarily coral tank.

Few questions

if i have a heater in my sump do i still need one in my tank? Or do i need one for both?
heater in sump, no need for one in tank

what kind of light should i keep over my sump/refugium?
home depot shop lamp. Just an everyday incandescent lamp.

how much sand and live rock are needed for my refugium? What else should i keep in there?
2-3" bed should do ya. Could throw in live rock also.

what is your opinion of bioballs? Heard a lot both ways. If don't like them please let me know what you prefer.
no bio balls, nitrate factories, bad idea. Live rock rubble.

do i need a protein skimmer if i have a refugium in my sump? If i do need a protein skimmer or if it just doesn't hurt to have one which section of the sump should i put it in (water in or water out)?
skimmer should still be used with a fuge. Put it in the middle section.

i've heard issues about overflowing problems if the power goes out. How does this happen and what can i do to prevent it. Or will the overflow boxes in my 135 tank prevent that from happening?
what kind of overflow boxes are they? You could install aqualifter pumps to the weir's or
the u-tubes.

okay so maybe a lot of questions:d and i'll probably have more. If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance
. .......

Basic Info- 135 gallon tank has two overflow boxes and has been drilled for two water outtakes and two intakes, 55 gallon tank to be used for a sump, this is going to be a primarily coral tank.

Few questions

If I have a heater in my sump do I still need one in my tank? Or do I need one for both?
The whole point of a sump is to take the equipment out of your tank so, put all the stuff you can in your sump and out of your DT.

What kind of light should I keep over my sump/refugium?
Will you have any macro algae in the sump? If not, then you won't need a light. If so, then a squiggly CFL bulb in a work lamp reflector will do.

How much sand and live rock are needed for my refugium? What else should I keep in there?
If you're not going to have 6" of sandbed in the sump then, I would forgo it all together. For LR, I just put as much as I could fit in my sump.

What is your opinion of bioballs? Heard a lot both ways. If don't like them please let me know what you prefer.
IMO, I would stay away from the bioballs, it will end up being more of a headache for you and will require constant maintenance.

Do I need a protein skimmer if I have a refugium in my sump? If I do need a protein skimmer or if it just doesn't hurt to have one which section of the sump should I put it in (water in or water out)?
You don't NEED a skimmer but it's a great way to remove DOC especially on larger tanks. If you are using one, you should put it in the first chamber of the sump, and make sure that section has a constant water level for optimal skimmer performance.

I've heard issues about overflowing problems if the power goes out. How does this happen and what can I do to prevent it. Or will the overflow boxes in my 135 tank prevent that from happening?
Make sure that if your power goes out that the sump has enough empty space in it to accommodate all the excess water from the DT that's going to drain without the return pump operating.

Okay so maybe a lot of questions:D and I'll probably have more. If you need more information let me know.

Thanks in advance

All your answers are in red ^^^

Ive read a ton of articles saying a sand bed with fine sand can have hypoxic conditions and nitrate removal as shallow as 3/4". 2-3" is more than enough for nitrate removal.

Ive read a ton of articles saying a sand bed with fine sand can have hypoxic conditions and nitrate removal as shallow as 3/4". 2-3" is more than enough for nitrate removal.
Not true. Shallow sand beds cannot sustain and eat off the nitrates. You need an absence of oxygen for this to happen, and in order for this to happen you need around 6" sand to accomplish. And yes, it does become toxic. If you just go in there and stir up the bed after say 6 months, you would release a bunch of toxic gas that would probably kill a few things in your tank. Your not supposed to disturb deep sand beds. A Denitrator or sulpher denitrator can accomplish eating all the nitrates for you, and the sulpher one you only have to add periodically. Then again, you could always carbon dose. (Vodka dose)

So 6" of sand, as much live rock as I can fit, no baffle balls just use crush live rock as filtration, protein skimmer in the first section (where water hits first).

Since I'm planning on growing algae in my refugium should I put in snails or hermits in there? Or would that defeat the purpose since I want a safe place to breed copepods?

Back