refugium??

meshman10

"YA CANT FIX STUPID"
refugium's?? would like to hear some pro's and con's..like the forum very informative...Right now I have a "life guard" UV, heater and big media filter,all are canister style (retarded, I know) Please advise...

There really are no cons to having a refugium, except it takes up space. If you have sand, live rock rubble, and macroalgae in the fuge, it will lower your phosphates and nitrates, and provide a breeding ground for pods so your tank has a live food source.

If you incorporate the fuge into a sump, it's even better. That way you can move all your equipment (minus the powerheads) into the sump, so you don't have all that stuff taking up tank space, hanging off the back. Both sumps and fuges also add to the total water volume of your system, which makes it easier to maintain high water quality.

I assume your tank isn't drilled, and if so, you'll need to purchase an overflow box to get the water from the tank down to the sump/fuge, and you'll need to buy a return pump to get the water back up to the tank. Other than that, there is very little cost involved; just some PVC and whatever you're going to use for the sump/fuge (which can be a rubbermaid tub or a leftover tank).

thank's for the info, tank is drilled. got my tank info somewhere on the site gotta do some more site work and navigation...

Back