Refugiums

jhnrb

Reef enthusiast
Here is a thread for you to post your thoughts, questions, or opinions on refugiums. I will be using a CPR aquafuge pro, I will modify the main chamber with a 6 inch high divider, on one side I will use miracle mud and on the other kent marine bio sediment. some live rock, red mangroves, and calerpa. tell us about yours, your thoughts, or questions.

Refuge

My refuge tank has been up since January. This refuge will be attached to my 135. I started with a 20 gallon, long tank. I added 6 inches of sand; some from my 55 gallon and added free sand from 2 different established systems. I asked for the rubble and stuff from the bottom of a LFS stores live rock tank, and added that (free again). Then I added small pieces of different kinds of macro algae, again free from established tanks. I have a small powerhead, and one small set of PC lights. I purchased some pods from an online dealer. I feed the tank flake food once every other day.

I should have a good amount of biodiversity by the time I attach it to the main tank in December.

Angela

My refuge is made of 2 10 gallon tanks, I will post photos tonight when I get home, its ugly but it was cheap and works like a champ till I get a bigger tank.

Great start up on the refuge pterois. sounds like you will definitly have a good bio diversity and the cost was very low. waiting for pics on yours chris. pterois if you have pics post. I will use the refuge to add minerals back to the system, remove nitrates, and promote a natural live food source. ill post some pics when i get to that portion of setup.

Well here are the pictures of my DYI refuge. I use a CPR overflow into a 10 gallon tank that was divided with plexi glass from Lowes (they will cut it for you) then a pump that goes thru a UV Sterilizer then to another CPR overflow into the second tank which has a Euro-reef skimmer then back to the main tank. The first tank also has a 6 inch DSB and calerpa growing in it. I have been able to keep 0 nitrates with this setup. Its actually backwards, I started with a hang-on skimmer which did not work near as well as the Euro-Reef. The skimmer should be first then the refuge, im loosing free food from the refuge to the skimmer. When I get a bigger tank I will be able to build the refuge right, this is one of those build and learn as you go tanks, WAY to much equipment on a 55. Hope this helps some.

great pics chris. all that matters is that it works. seems like you got the pieces all connected for a successful system. thanks for the pics. mine will be down the road a few months yet. what kind of calerpa are you using and whats in your bio diversity package/substrait etc.

Last edited:
my fuge is a 40 gal. long i set it up 2 yrs ago when i started my 55 gal. reef.i use a cpr overflow from main display.the fuge has 3 sections. water from display goes to the first section which has skimmer,heater,bioballs(pods love this section)water then flows under divider to the center section which has 4 inches live sand(dr.mac's) and 50 lbs live rock.than the water flows over the last divider where i keep my return pump.according to the graph in a martin moe book my turn over rate is 108 times per 24 hours.

for my refuge i plan to use a 30 gallon have the water come in from the tank. run over a carbon and filter pad, then the bio balls. flow through a aqua medic skimmer. then flow to a 5 gallon camber with live rock and mangroves and kent biosediment and be on a reverse light timmer. and pump back out to the tank. how does that sound?

Your refuge should not have fast water. my thoughts. hope this helps. Ill have some pics soon on my setup. take water from sump to refuge and back to sump so I can control the flow in the refuge.

I am using the same refugium the JHNRB posted at the top except with out the divider.Just mixed the mud and biosedement.I am using a 6500 k pc for the lighting in reverse of my regular light.I have I have calerpa in there that grows like mad in there that grows like mad.Also added a few obsuleta snails from the main tank fair stirring the bed.Over all I am pleased with it.In the two months it has been running my nitrates have been reduced.

Back