Regal tang restless

i've got crabs

Reefing newb
iv had a regal for about a week he settled in well and was quite happy, but today he seems to be the opposite he is going up and down the tank non stop apart from feeding time when he briefly snaps out of it. any ideas or is he just having a bad day?

How big is the fish? He may be getting restless because your tank is too small for that type of fish. Regal tangs need a lot of swimming space, and they get very stressed if they are kept in a tank that is too small to meet their needs. Your tank is too small for a regal tang, and when they are kept in a small tank, they exhibit just the behavior you are describing.

hes prob about 2 1/2 inches, nobody seemed to think the tank size was an issue when i got him. the shop are normally quick to tell me if somthing is not suitable for my setup

You have three tangs in your tank, correct? I think it was already mentioned here that your fish aren't good for that size tank.

Keep in mind, the shop is selling you stuff. We are not.

Ahh okay. I'm thinking of someone else then -- the person I was thinking of has a sailfin. Sorry for the mix-up. :( Yellow eye kole tangs are fine for that tank, but regals do need more space. They are on the higher end of the "demanding" scale. They are also more prone to disease and stress than other tangs. They're pretty sickly. For this reason, they need more space.

Last edited:
Back